Chapter 42

Enzo

"Stop." I demand, snatching Luca by the sleeve of his shirt.

His pacing halts but his eyes never leave the monitor. "Sorry." Is his only response, muttered in a quiet, distracted tone.

He's been a mess for at least the last month, not that I've been much better myself.

I grab him by his chin, forcing him to meet my gaze. "Stop." I repeat firmly. "She will be here. She wouldn't have agreed if she didn't plan to show up. That's not Polina." I press a kiss against his lips before releasing him.

Luca's shoulders fall in defeat. "I know." He brushes an errant curl from his face, the strands in dire need of a trim. "I just want everything to go well, I don't know how much longer I can take having her so close but not being near her. I'm tempted to just snatch her up and lock her in your basement again."

I can't help but let out a light laugh because, cazzo, I feel the same way. I'm also tempted to go back to the beginning. I prefer being in charge, being in control of every part of my life. I can't control Polina and it's been a long learning process accepting that. "Be patient." I give his shoulder a squeeze. "You know she deserves more than to be our captive." I'm not sure if I'm speaking to him or myself at this point.

I will admit that I've surprisingly enjoyed watching her come into the leader she is even though its been absolute torture keeping our distance. I'm sure she thinks I'm the reason the Cartel and other gangs have kept their distance but she's more respected than she even realizes. The local gangs hated Mikhail and it's not hard to see Polina already makes a better Pahkan than he ever did.

Luís has his own things to deal with in the Cartel, taking over as the leader isn't an easy or quick feat. He was livid after we told him everything Valentina had done and I believed he truly hadn't known about her helping Mikhail but I didn't expect our relationship to remain standing for much longer either. I could practically feel him getting antsy, fighting that craving for retaliation because I killed his sister, even if she was betraying him. I don't expect him to stay silent forever.

"There she is." Luca's finger taps the monitor and my eyes snap to the screen, watching as Polina exits a black car.

I quickly shut the computer off and we exit the office, locking the door behind us. Luca follows me down the hallway and back into the dining room of DeLuca's Italian Restaurant. Eyes follow us as we make our way through the restaurant, straight to the maitre d' just as Polina steps inside the building.

My eyes start at the floor, her feet encased in black high heels that elongate her long, toned legs. I eat up every inch of that alabaster skin bared by the double slits in her gown that end high on her hips. A single panel of fabric is the only thing covering whatever she's hiding under the silky dress. My gaze snags on the sheaths strapped to her pale thighs and the familiar knives I'd gifted her. Merda, they look even better on her than I expected. The leather straps molding to her body like butter, the handles of the knives gleaming under the low lighting in the room.

My eyes continue their journey up her body, taking in the rest of the tight, silk maroon colored gown. It lays flat against her stomach and dips down between her breasts, showing off her cleavage and leading up to little, thin straps that rest on her shoulders. Her hair is pulled up, baring even more skin for the eye to see. A silver choker clings to her neck tightly, reminding me of a collar. The sight makes my brain short-circuit as I imagine holding a leash attached to that collar, leading her around as she crawls across the floor naked. What a pretty pet she would make, she can listen so well when she's in the mood to be a good girl.