Chapter 28

•Polina•

After I agreed to Nikolays terms he sent his men to our hotel room to collect our things so we could stay at his estate. While my sisters got comfortable in their rooms Nikolay forced Vero to help me as punishment for pulling a gun on a guest in his house. Although Vero clearly didn't want to he didn't let it be known out loud to his father. Instead he called Anastasia, the daughter to Nikolays right hand man, over to help and then we got to work.

I'd like to say each day spent in Moscow I grew a little happier, that the time helped the heartache Enzo and Luca cursed me with but it didn't. Days fade by at a rapid pace and I become increasingly anxious to get back to the states the longer it takes to track my father down. Every waking moment I have is spent with Vero and Anastasia. I gave them all the information I could think of. Anything possibly of importance that Enzo and Luca had said to me in passing, hoping something would give us a lead.

Vero hacked into Luís' surveillance system for every property he owns and we dug through the feed for hours each day, ultimately coming up empty handed. We went back through weeks of footage at each place to be sure he hadn't moved him but my father was nowhere to be found.

How is he so well hidden? I don't understand. If Luís has him he has to have him stashed in one of his buildings. Where else could he be?

The last place we check is his home because it's the least likely place he would hide anyone due Valentina often using it for parties. Footage of his home fills the large tv screen Vero's connected his computer to, the video playing out rapidly as Vero speeds through it.

"Wait, go back!" I demand and Vero pauses before rewinding the footage.

Men dressed in all black tactical gear storm through Luís' front door. Luís runs in from another room wielding a gun with his boyfriend Jay right behind him. The men aim their rifles at them both, and Luís immediately drops his weapon. One of them men force Luís and Jay to lay on the ground with their hands up and he keeps his gun pointed at them while the rest of the men search Luís' house. Vero flicks through the many cameras in the house, following them in their search but in the end they find no one hidden away. They go back to the foyer where Luís and Jay both remain on the floor. One of them tugs their black balaclava mask down, revealing his face and my heart skips a beat as Enzo's cold gaze stares Luís down.

"Where the fuck is he, Luís?" Enzo questions.

"I told you I don't know. I'm not helping the damn Russians!" Luís shouts back.

"I've been watching you and the men under your control. They disappear for days unaccounted for, coming back in shifts of four to guard your gate. You usually have at least fifteen men out there at minimum, what's changed if you aren't hiding Mikhail?"

"I don't need as many right now." Luís inists.

Enzo points his rifle at Luís head with a growl. "You're lying!"

A masked man steps forward, placing a hand on Enzo's side and I know it's Luca without him even having to reveal his face. Another masked man steps into view with his arms crossed and he speaks to Enzo in Italian. Whatever is said gets Enzo to step away and ultimately leave Luís house a few minutes later. Vero pauses the footage at their exit. Enzo's pissed expression fills the screen as he exits Luís house.

I bite the tip of my tongue, pushing away the urge to ask him to rewind it so I could watch them again. I want to hear Enzo's voice and watch Luca comfort him. I want Luca to remove his mask so I could see his face too. Tears burn my eyes from refusing their release. God, the way I miss them is unlike anything I've dealt with before.