1. The Dancing Wolf

Squinting my eyes, I cursed the Sun for taking me from my sleep. I got up and hasted to the small hole in the wall I called a window, to catch the last glimpse of our Moon before she fully disappeared behind the horizon. She did not shine her brightest tonight. But she had been regaining her strength since the Hidden Moon. That meant the Death Moon was coming, along with my Ascension.

Our people have always stood for freedom. No one could be obligated to take the Bite or to stay in a pack they didn't want to belong to. So every five years, for each Moon that shines brightest, all wolflings of age who wish to participate, can join in on the Ascension ritual that happens on the night of their Moon of birth.

Once our Moon had completely vanished from the skies, I looked around in my kitchen--if it could even be called one, for my breakfast. All I could find was an old piece of bread I found in the bakery's trash three days ago. As I picked up what was left of it, I saw big blue spots of mold forming, undoubtedly a consequence of the rain that had fallen through the roof last night. My stomach growling in protest, I tossed the bread away and headed out into the town. 

I lived in the slums, the parts of town where the richest wolves did not dare to come, in fear of our poverty being a contagious disease that would surely kill them. But I did not fear the dangers that lived here, for I was one of them.

Not everyone in our town was a werewolf, I recalled every so often. We lived among generations of successors of mankind who had fought against us so many years ago. They only knew of us through local legends many had stopped believing long ago. They did not know of our existence today and we were bound to remain secret to avoid a new war.

But they could feel we were different, stronger. They kept their distance if we passed them, instinctively shielding themselves from the dangers their unconsciousness seemed to remember.

Even if they did not know about us--about what walked among them, they could still feel the thick premise of war hovering in the air. Dark and hushed whispers floated around the streets, talking of dark forces closing in, threatening to wipe our little town away. No one dared to voice these murmurs aloud, fearing the truth that hid behind them. 

The people didn't seem to realize, the darkness was already here. They dreaded every night one of our Moons would shine her brightest, as each bright night would bring them closer to the foreboding demise that was awaiting them. The mysterious enemy that they could feel was lurking somewhere--but they were blind to the enemy, seeking its presence outside of the town's borders when it had been here all along.

I delighted in watching our Moon shine brighter every night. Because I knew, that once she shone her brightest, I could get out of here. My liberation was waiting for me, while the people here were preparing for their impending doom.

As I walked the streets, avoiding puddles of Moons know what, I finally arrived at my destination. I always chuckled at the sign that moved in the wind, decorated with bold letters spelling the words 'The Dancing Wolf'. 

I strode towards the bar, where I was greeted with a smile. The Dancing Wolf was one of the very few places I could find shelter and safety. And even a friend. Its owner, Benjamin, had been a close friend of my parents and had looked out for me in any way he could after their passing. "Ah Sari, I was wondering when you'd show up again. It's been a few days, this place has gone quiet," he winked at me. "What can I get you?"

I sighed. "A job maybe? I'm running out of supplies again," I mumbled, too ashamed to say the words too loud for prying ears to join in on the conversation. 

Benjamin had been able to let me work for him on occasion in exchange for coin, which I could use to buy food and other necessities. It was always small tasks, like doing the dishes or mopping the floor after closing. But he had only been able to help me out when Beckett hadn't been around. And that hadn't been often. His happy expression made room for a sad, guilty look in his eyes. "Sorry lass, I can't help you out right now."