18. Retribution

"Wake up, Sari. We've all been called by Aven," someone said in a hushed voice as I was dragged from my sleep. I vaguely recognized the voice that belonged to Lotta.

"What?" I asked, sleep still intertwined in my words.

"Aven has summoned every wolf outside," she explained. "We need to go."

"Why?" I rubbed my eyes, removing their slumber as I got up and quickly changed into regular clothes. Lotta's wariness had caused me to waken rather quickly.

"I don't know." She looked worried, frightened even, as she led me outside.

We joined the rest of the pack, gathered in the gardens behind the Manor. The remains of Death Moon shone in the sky. It was still night, what had been so urgent?

In front of the large group of wolves, I guessed there had to be at least 200 of them, stood Aven, surrounded by small fire pyres and five other wolves. I recognized one of them. Jerr stood by Aven's right side, a dangerously serious expression on his face. All the wolves in the front between the pyres shared that expression, which could not mean anything good. The other wolves around me and Lotta noticed the severity of whatever was about to happen too, as no one dared to speak and the silence felt very, very tense.

Lotta pushed us through the larger part of the crowd, until we stood somewhere at the front. From where we stood now, we had a much clearer view on Aven and Jerr. The other wolves in front had to be Feytan and Mallee. To the side I recognized the parents of the young wolf Beckett had killed. Their faces were cold, and full of grief.

But now that I had gotten closer, I could see a seventh wolf, shackled to the ground. Forced on his knees, he was facing his head towards the ground. The metallic smell of blood carried its way through the air, and I could see it dripping down his face onto the ground.

Lotta tensed beside me as she saw what I was seeing. She probably knew what was about to come, and her reaction to it scared me. But I didn't dare ask her, not with everyone around us being so quiet.

In the distance, the wind ruffled through the trees that lined the edge of the gardens, giving the scene an even more eerie feeling.

Aven finally broke the silence, after more wolves had arrived. "Today, a grave crime has been committed. Fire Moon has taken one of our younglings and brutally murdered him." Gasps traveled along the crowd, and Lotta looked surprised too. I forgot I hadn't told her about what had happened, but she kept her stare on Aven, anticipating what was about to come. I did the same as Aven continued. "Their Alpha killed a twelve year old boy. Tortured him." The boy's parents froze at the mention of the horrors their son had been through. But Aven kept going, rage dripping off his features. "He was taken right from the safety of our city walls."

Aven took a step in the direction of the wolf on the ground and yanked his head up, so we could all see his face. It looked swollen and bruised, showing he had just been beaten up. Jerr clenched his jaw and crossed his hands behind his back when the wolf grunted in pain. Had Jerr done this?

Aven resumed his talking after the crowd had calmed down. "This wolf was on duty when the tragedy happened. He was responsible for guarding the wall in the location where the youngling has been taken. Yet, he had been distracted with other trivial matters, giving Fire Moon a clear and easy window to take one of our own. You have failed this pack," Aven spat at the wolf before him. "You are responsible for that boy's death." He shot a look towards Jerr, who in turn joined Aven and hoisted the shackled wolf up, keeping him up from behind.

"Do not think, not for one second, that Fire Moon has let go of this war. This death serves as proof of that." I gulped at Aven's words. This death had also served as proof of Beckett's personal vendetta against me, which was a frightening thought. "It was a preventable death, one that made Death Moon look weak in our enemies' eyes. That cannot happen, not ever again. Let that be clear." The crowd was so silent, dreading what we now all knew was about to come. Everyone held their breaths, fearing even our normal bodily functions would disrupt the tension and make the entire thing explode. "Everyone knows the cost of death. You pay with your own life. A death for a death." My heart started beating against my chest at the punishment Aven had just pronounced.