14. The Ride pt. 2

True sleep hadn't found me this night. Even after the wolf on watch had given me his fur, it seemed so cold that even with two furs on top of me, I was still shivering. Aven and Jerr had more developed wolf abilities, and one fur seemed to do it for them. And when one of them was on guard in their wolf form, they didn't even need one and so they'd given me theirs.

          The night had been fairly calm. I heard smaller creatures like rats skitter past us and Jerr even stomped some away in his sleep. I had also heard some owls, we had those too in the forest of Fire Moon. At some point I thought I'd heard something die as a small shriek pierced through the night, but the sound was so distant, I was even surprised I was able to hear it.
I had looked up at the sky for a long time, admiring our Moon. She had lost some of her power this night already, as the Death Moon had drained her of energy. But she still shone bright and lit up the night for us.

           But I welcomed the Sun the moment she began to appear, and mostly the warmth that followed. But as soon as the light of dawn had broken the day, Aven readied the horses and we'd be on our way again.

          Jerr turned back to his mortal form behind the rock and now sat down next to me as he handed me another piece of bread, gnawing on his own breakfast. "So, did you sleep in between your shivering?"

          I shook my head as I took another bite from my bread. "Not well, no. Perhaps I'll take a nap on the horse today."

          "Given how at ease you were yesterday, I wish you luck," he blew out.

          I grumbled in protest. My tailbone still hurt from yesterday, and I absolutely was not looking forward to riding with Jerr an entire full day again. And I suspected he wasn't looking forward to riding with me, either. My clothes smelled even more than the day before, and I felt dirty.

          "Besides, I highly doubt you'd find my arms a comfortable napping spot," he teased. And he was absolutely right. I hadn't enjoyed the closeness of his body to mine, especially since I knew that he hadn't liked it either.

          "What can I say? Wicked tiredness calls for desperate sleeping places."

          "You flatter me, Sari," he winked.

I rolled my eyes at him, before continuing eating my bread.

          Aven had barely let us finish our breakfast before he'd ordered us to mount back up because he wanted to be on the move again

          Aven had barely let us finish our breakfast before he'd ordered us to mount back up because he wanted to be on the move again. He grumbled something about being back already if he'd been able to travel in his wolven form, and that bit at my insides.

          Jerr helped me back up again and it went more smoothly than it had yesterday. But as we started moving forward, it felt just as uncomfortable. I didn't dare to lean back against Jerr, but keeping myself straight was tiring, especially for hours on end. And with both of the men preferring their mind-to-mind talk with the sporadic laughter exposing them, I had nothing to do for the entire day.