21. The Plan

I had a hunch what this would be about. Aven had said last night he didn't want to wait to avenge Willis. I assumed he had now called for me and Feytan to work out the plan of vengeance. The Manor was a relatively short walk away, and Feytan showed me around Rahas a bit more along the way.

"Why are you training me?" I asked as we walked through some new streets, where rows and rows of buildings painted the skies.

Feytan cocked his head to the left, facing me. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, why are you training me? I'm sure you have more important things to do, given your rank. Aren't there other wolves qualified for my training?"

"A lot of them are. But no one wanted to." He gave me a small consoling smile, apologizing for the unpleasant entry his Pack had been giving me. Most of them, at least.

"Oh," I said softly. "Why did you want to?"

"A chain is no stronger than its weakest link," he answered. "You're one of us now, whether they like it or not."

I barely allowed myself to notice how he had said they and not we. I wasn't sure if that was purposefully said, or if it was just an accidental choice of words. But Feytan's calmness and consoling smiles let me dare think the former. "I can understand why they're hesitant about letting me in. You know, since I come from Fire Moon."

"Death Moon has a track record of not being welcoming to outsiders," Feytan said. "They will soon learn that they have no choice, Sari. The Moons have chosen it to be this way."

"Yes, the Moons did. But the pack did not choose me."

"You can't let that hold you back, Sari. You have no control over the other wolves in this pack, so you shouldn't waste your energy on them. They'll come around some day. They'll have to."

I didn't really know what to answer to that. I hoped they'd come around. We continued the rest of our walk in silence, but it felt easy. The silence, that is. The rest of the walk was torturous as my body was still trembling and aching from my first training session. I took the aching as a good sign, proof that my body was adjusting to my new life, even if it was only the first day. The first true day of my life in Death Moon.

          We finally arrived at the Manor, after what felt like ages, and Feytan brought us to the third floor, to the same room where I'd met with Aven and Jerr last night

We finally arrived at the Manor, after what felt like ages, and Feytan brought us to the third floor, to the same room where I'd met with Aven and Jerr last night. Every step upwards felt like a battle, but I managed to get myself up to the third floor, looking somewhat presentable. I was already longing for that hot bath after this was over.

"You've arrived," Aven noted as Feytan and I walked in. He gave me a small glance up and down, noticing the sweat that covered my body, but he didn't seem to care that much. Jerr was already here, as were two other male wolves I did not recognize. They didn't even give me the slightest acknowledgement as I walked past them, to the larger table at the end of the room where they were gathered. On the table lay a large, detailed map of our lands, Zyama.