66. Rahas

"Just a little longer," Jerr mumbled against my ear, tightening his embrace on me.

"I thought Aven needed us back urgently," I whispered, leaning into him as much as I could, trying to bury myself in his chest.

I felt Jerr's sigh brushing over my hair, a warm, but harsh breeze. "I hate it when you're right."

"You must be living a hateful life, then," I grinned.

"Well," he said, carefully placing a kiss where his exhale had just passed. "It's not all bad."

I answered his kiss with one of my own, finding his mouth like it was the most natural thing there was. Our lips connecting felt almost instinctively - like they knew they needed to fuse to extinguish this flame of hunger that existed within us.

But the flame never died, and only grew with every kiss we shared, until I felt like I would burn up myself, and take this entire forest down with me.

So I pulled away this time, keeping that fire inside contained to a small ember of longing - always lingering within me, caving me with its presence, but not big enough to burn me or make me explode.

"Come on," I said, untangling myself from him. "It's only a short run to Rahas, I'm sure Aven has been expecting your arrival for long enough now."

I loved Jerr's company. I could spend entire days with him - and I wouldn't grow tired of him. Especially after I learned a little trick to occupy his mouth with other ventures when he was acting like that bloody Wise Moon again.

But I missed Lotta. I missed our endless blabber and her everlasting kindness. I missed her smile, her hug, and her presence.

And I also didn't want to return to Rahas and be the object of Aven's annoyance when he would discover what delayed his Beta's return.

Jerr muttered something under his breath, but I was already out the door and I didn't catch what he said.

Once outside, I was immediately engulfed by the chilly breeze of the morning, awakening my skin as it patterned in goosebumps all over. I didn't hesitate and immediately shifted, the warm fur feeling comfortable and familiar.

I began stepping forward, pointing my nose high in the air. I still relished in how intense this world was. How I could smell hundreds of things at once, but when needed, I could single out every single one of them.

And once I saw the big wolf next to me, with brown fur that reminded me of home, I broke out into a run, and I didn't stop until the gates of Rahas came into view.

The city was prepared for the return of wolves without clothes, and Jerr guided us towards a little stone house, made from the same material as the walls that surrounded the city

The city was prepared for the return of wolves without clothes, and Jerr guided us towards a little stone house, made from the same material as the walls that surrounded the city. The door was unlocked, and the inside was revealed to contain a few sets of clothing.

I slipped inside the small shack, hoping no hidden bystanders had spotted my naked body, and eagerly slipped into the warm, linen trousers Jerr handed to me.