62. Apicya

I eagerly took the bowl of breakfast Jerr was handing to me, sitting down on a log. There weren't enough soldiers accompanying us for breakfast to constitute an army, but this part of the camp was still rather crowded.

Most people sat down around us in a few groups, around smaller pyres. But the wolves on duty were scurrying about, helping the cooks with breakfast. Some had already begun training, and I hoped I would be able to join them soon.

"Any idea what this is?" I asked Jerr after a bomb of sweetness exploded on my tongue. I looked down at the bowl and saw something grain-like, mixed with fruits I didn't recognize.

"Typical breakfast from the area," Jerr said, his mouth full. "I think the grains or a mixture of seeds and something from local wheat, but I'm not sure. It's been a long time since I've had a good Apicyan breakfast."

"It's called Ubos," Tymen clarified, appearing from behind us and sitting down next to me with his own bowl. "The grain is made from a local plant, the Clum, which is quite easy to cultivate around here. They take some of the leaves and the extract and bake it, it's a whole process," he continued, waving his hand in the air. "And then we add some of the fruits we've gathered that day. Very easy, very nutritious, and very tasty."

"Ubos," I repeated. "It's definitely better than the bland oats Feytan makes me eat every day."

"I suppose anything would be better than bland oats," Tymen agreed, feigning a horrified expression.

"Well," Jerr said, "nothing compares to this for breakfast, either way."

"I suppose," Tymen sniggered, beaming with pride. "Good morning, Alpha," he quickly added, as Dell joined our group and sat down next to Jerr.

"Good morning," Dell answered. "I hope you were able to rest some."

"Yes, definitely," I confirmed. "Thank you for your hospitality, Alpha." The question if he had decided anything about my training yet, was burning on my tongue. But I feared asking it before he had properly woken up.

"Good," he said with a slight nod. He even threw in a gentle smile, one that came across as sincere. In a way, it took away from his dominant role as an Alpha, but I could feel he held the respect of his people. Even in the short time he had been Alpha, I got the impression that he had accomplished great things within his pack.

The four of us talked some more over our breakfast, talking of superficial things that had happened in our time apart. It was clear we were just filling up our morning until it was time to pick up our duties, but the fate of my training kept burning in my insides.

I realized it would have to simmer a while longer when Dell needed to talk to Jerr alone, and Tymen offered me a tour around the city itself.

I graciously agreed and followed him out of the camp, leaving the bloody Wise Moon behind with his powerful friend.

"It's a little walk away," Tymen said, his voice musical.

"Did you grow up in Apicya?" I asked, following him along the trail that – to my dislike – contained a bit more climbing here and there.

"I did. I shared an apartment with my parents and my siblings."

"Oh, you have siblings?" I had always wondered how it would have been to have a little brother or sister growing up. Would their presence have offered me comfort, or just an extra responsibility I couldn't carry? I'd have another mouth to feed – and I wouldn't have been able to leave Spitta behind. But perhaps Spitta wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't been alone.

"Two," he hummed, evading a low-hanging branch. "I'm the eldest of three sons."

"Three boys? I pity your parents!"