38. The Shadowed Death

Even though we didn't need it, Jerr had bothered to put on some lights before he sat down opposite me. The white reflections of the lamp next to us bounced off his abdomen and his arms, curving the shadows around his muscled tone.

His posture was slugged and relaxed, but he had a stern expression on his face, indicating he was ready to hear me out. I cleared my throat, catching myself gazing at his figure, before I began speaking. I wouldn't even try to pretend Jerr hadn't noticed.

"I was working tonight," I began when Jerr signaled me to begin talking. He'd offered me a glass of water, which I took a sip from every now and then, to clear the dryness in my throat. In between the working and serving pints, I hadn't been able to drink much for myself. "In the part of town where supposedly no wolves ever come."

"Supposedly?" Jerr asked curiously.

"Yes. And the last few weeks have shown that to be true. That's why it really piqued my interest when tonight, three wolves walked in, looking unnerved."

Knowing my story had something to do with this Shadowed Death, Jerr altered his seating, and leaned forward in his chair. His untamed waves of brown edged his face, masking the tiredness that was slowly leaving his features. But even the barely noticeable dark circles around his eyes, didn't dull the fierce greenness of them.

"They went to one of the booths in the back, and they were speaking in hushed voices the entire night. I wasn't able to hear all of their conversation, but I got some snippets out of it. I couldn't make much sense of it, but I'm hoping and guessing you can."

Jerr nodded. "Well, then. Let's have it."

I replayed their conversation in my head as I told Jerr what I'd heard. He didn't interrupt me once. "They were talking about the Shadowed Death, how it's slimming down their forces. They looked very on edge, as Talek described it. They were so tense, they didn't even smell me out when I came to take their orders. They didn't really seem to know who or what this Shadowed Death is, but one of them seemed to think Aven is somehow involved. Another one didn't agree with this, but they all did agree that it would be very bad if he were, since he's the Alpha. They didn't stay in the bar for very long, as the first one ran out as soon as the other ones got on his nerves. They followed quickly after."

Jerr stayed quiet for a short moment, pondering what I'd just told him. "You said it's slimming down their forces?"

It. "Yes," I answered. "At least, that's what I heard."

"Do you have any idea what they meant by their forces?"

I shook my head. "Maybe they clarified that in a part of their conversation I wasn't able to listen to."

"Okay," he said quietly. He leaned back in his chair, his eyes staring intently at me. He shifted in his seat a few times, as if he somehow couldn't get comfortable.

"What is it?" I asked.

He lightly clenched his teeth before he answered. "I need to ask something of you. And I hate that I have to do it."

"What are you talking about?"

He sighed, leaning back in his chair. His hand went up to his eyes, rubbing out his concerns, or his lingering tiredness. "I need to look inside your mind."

"