58. Strong Moon pt. 1

The sunlight broke through the half-open curtains, casting its golden blessing on Jerr and me. Our peaceful forms were still close together, snuggled up in each other.

His fingers twirled around my arms, leaving a trail of tingles and shivers wherever they touched.

I wanted to stay here, safe in his arms. Encircled by his warm grasp, his chest humming against my back.

He nuzzled his face in my hair, refusing to give in to the morning.

But we had to leave. We had to reach Hidden Moon as fast as we could. We had to, to escape Beckett-

My heart began speeding up at the thought of seeing those haunting eyes, smelling his ashy scent.

I could've sworn I smelled it here, in this room, but as Jerr pulled me even closer to him, the soul-stirring smell got replaced by his warm and spicy wood, overpowering me entirely and melting me away.

His soft words calmed my heart instantly. "Beckett won't lay another finger on you," he said softly. "Not while I'm here. And I'm not leaving."

I wanted to believe him. A part of me longed to trust those words, and see truth in them. But even if he had every intention to defend me, Agni's gift was a danger that was too real.

"It is not impossible for a wolf like me, to kill a wolf like Beckett," Jerr murmured. "He won't touch you, ever again."

I turned around and let my lips find his. The kiss was soft and gentle, but still, his grip intensified on my back.

"We do have to get moving," he grumbled against my lips, his voice laced with objection. And then he quickly got up and left me in the bed, pulling his clothes back on.

We both knew, if he had stayed in bed a bit longer, we wouldn't have left.

I sighed, and followed his lead, gathering my clothes from all over the room and putting them back on.

I let Jerr check us out of the room, and then followed him outside, where we soon reached another forest to cross.

"We'll reach Strong Moon by midday," Jerr warned me.

My heart dropped in my chest, as this sinking feeling of Fire Moon leering close kept trying to surface.

But every time my mind strayed, Jerr was there to distract me, often with the most ridiculous things one could think of.

I was thankful for his presence. For him.

So as Jerr kept walking into the trees, so did I.

The Sun warmed my skin, just past its peak. She would soon begin her fast descent, but now she was still dancing above us.

We crossed the border a while ago. We had decided not to train the sword fighting again, so we wouldn't lose any ground, and I could keep my sanity as much as I could.