43. A Pawn Or A Weapon?

"Cailean and I talked yesterday," I huffed in between the sets.

"I know," Feytan replied. A few days ago, he stopped giving me pointers on my posture as often. My body had adapted to my new life in Rahas, and very soon, I'd be ready for my first run. The days were creeping in closer, even if I didn't know when exactly I'd be ready.

"You know?" If Feytan knew... "Does Aven know?" A slight panic underlined my voice, but through my heavy breathing, I wasn't sure if it could be heard.

"Sari," he sighed. "Do you honestly believe you could go for a walk in the Alpha's private gardens without said Alpha knowing about it?"

I shook my head as I stopped the set Feytan had instructed. "One can hope."

"Hope can lead to many outcomes. None of them being Aven not knowing who's in his private gardens."

Sun burn me. He hadn't done anything about it yet, but I was sure he wouldn't just let this go. I was sure, more than anything, that his private gardens weren't meant for wolves like me. Or just me.

Feytan seemed to notice the worry that crept into my face. "Relax, Sari. Cailean has vouched for you."

"He has?" He didn't strike me to be the wolf who'd bother himself with saving me from whatever petty punishment Aven had in mind.

Or perhaps the punishment just wasn't so petty.

"He seems to like you." Feytan offered me another smile before he ordered me a new set of exercises, one that made every muscle in my body burn. But I'd grown to like the burning feeling in my body.

Because the burning meant that I was one step closer to my first transformation. I was one step closer to being able to fight back.

And because it in no way compared to the burning of fire.

I entered the more formal dining room, which was more elegantly decorated with crystal chandeliers and art covering the walls

I entered the more formal dining room, which was more elegantly decorated with crystal chandeliers and art covering the walls. My eyes immediately began scanning the already seated crowd, trying to find my empty spot at Lotta's table.

I found her and her friends shortly after, and started making my way over to their table.

But as I passed the front table, where Aven and his company were seated, Cailean called to me. "Ah, Sari, I was wondering when you'd show up. Please, have a seat."

I looked over to my left, and saw Cailean had placed an empty seat between him and Aven, one he was now offering to me.

Aven looked visibly frustrated by the thought of me sitting at his table, but as our eyes locked, he flicked his head over to the empty chair. A silent order for me to sit down.

Cailean plainly ignored Aven's loathing of me. It wasn't possible he didn't notice, he just didn't seem to care if he offended his fellow Alpha.

I, however, did still care about not offending any Alpha, and so I took a little bow before I walked over to the empty chair. Jerr shot me an amused look as I pulled the chair out, and sat down between two of the most powerful wolves known to us.