13. The Ride

Jerr led me out to the stables, where Aven was waiting for us with two brown-furred horses. One of the priestesses had saddled them up for us already, and a large bag on either side of their flanks was mounted on both horses.

I had managed to mount the horse—with Jerr's help—but it had taken me a few tries before I was able to swing my right leg over the horse's back. Aven had already placed himself atop his horse, and by the fleeting amused look on his face, I could tell my actions had not been the most elegant.

Jerr came up behind me and took the reins as he put his arms around my waist. "Try to follow the horse's flow with your own body," he murmured in my ear.

 He was inched so close to me, that I could feel his warm breath brush against my cheek. I ignored the raw feeling that followed and I tried not to think about how he clearly did not want to be stuck with me for this entire ride.

"If we leave now, we can try to reach the Manor by tomorrow evening. Let's go," Aven ordered, as both wolves nudged the horses forward.

My body tensed at the sudden movement under me. It did not feel natural or comfortable, especially with Jerr pressed against my back, but I would have to make do. It was because of me we had to travel by horse since I wasn't strong enough yet to transform. But that meant that in time, I would be able to run in my wolven-form. 

I could not describe how much I longed for that. Especially if the alternative would be to ride on horses. I did not like this. Not at all.

I felt a laugh coming from behind me and for a split second, I had forgotten about Jerr's powers. "The horse can sense your tense body. Try to relax, Sari."

I rolled my eyes. "I don't like the way his body feels, either. So it seems fair to me."

"She's a her."

"I don't care. She's uncomfortable." It really was. I wasn't too thrilled about being stuck in this position for two full days.

But the most uneasy rhythm had been when Aven and Jerr had sped up the pace. As soon as we had left the forest, we had entered fields where the horses had enough room to trot and gallop.

I had nearly fallen off as the horse's movement altered to gain more speed. Jerr had caught me and slid one arm tightly around my stomach, pulling me close to him. And I hated it as much as he did.

Aven had told us we needed to reach Death Moon's edge by nightfall, as we were now traveling in Wise Moon territories and Aven would rather not spend the night here

Aven had told us we needed to reach Death Moon's edge by nightfall, as we were now traveling in Wise Moon territories and Aven would rather not spend the night here. Father had told me the relationship between Death Moon and Wise Moon was strained, yet their Beta was blessed by Kavitvana. 

I wondered if Jerr shared those difficulties; if he did not want to spend the night in Wise Moon as well. It had been his home for a while, after all. Twenty to twenty-four years, depending on when he was able to Ascend and switch to Death Moon.