Coming Back

Four Years Later

Mew ruffled his silky browny locks with his fingers as he looked in the mirror, happy with his looks but unable to stop primping. When it came to... well, everything, really, he knew he was neurotic. Gulf referred to it as meticulous, but Mew preferred the name meticulous. His appearance, on the other hand, was far more significant today. He looked terrific, that was undeniable, but he needed to appear much better today. When he came into a room, he needed to turn heads, flutter hearts, stop traffic—he needed to appear so goddamn fine that angels fucking sang.

Because Gulf was returning home today.

"Mew, it's about time to leave, I think," Bella noted easily, patting Mew's shoulder. "You look ravishingly handsome, as always. I'm sure Gulf will be speechless."

"Oh, he'll be speechless, alright. But mostly because I'll have my tongue down his throat."

Bella chuckled but shook her head. "You know, Mew, for a man who prides himself on his class, you can really be quite vulgar." Her hazel eyes sparkled with amusement as she smiled at him. She'd grown accustomed to the man's brutal honesty about his sex life; in fact, she'd found herself very fond of the prat at some point in the last two years, somewhat surprisingly. He was a tenacious but caring man who was always amusing and sharp-witted. He was, above all, excellent for Gulf.

"I suppose I'll have to watch myself when mini Ginger pops out then, won't I?" Mew said, touching Bella's round belly with a gentle pat and throwing her a smirk.

"You're quite right, you will," she answered, returning the grin. "To be honest though, you're the least of my worries. Gulf's got quite the mouth on him as well—and don't even get me started on that husband of mine."

Mew snorted as he stepped away from the mirror and grabbed his keys from the kitchen counter, the only thing that seemed out of place on the spotless surface. In fact, the entire house was like that; it was neat, tidy, and uncluttered, exactly like Mew loved it. It would be much more difficult to keep it that way now that Gulf would be back, but having the man back home was well worth the extra effort to keep it that way. In any case, he decided it was about time he started paying for a cleaning lady again. "I'm just bloody thankful he finally knocked you up."

Mew clarified when Bella shot him in the face of bewilderment. He mocked, "Of course, for simply selfish reasons. "That little boy you got cooking is what will be keeping our boys home for the next while. They've been on tour more times than I would like."

This time, the band had only been gone for three months, but it still felt like years. Mew had grown accustomed to Gulf's frequent absences by now, but he didn't find them any easier; rather, he found himself resigned to the reality of their situation for the time being. Mew hoped to alter it soon, but he didn't know when.

The boys kept their tours rather short, mostly thanks to Gulf and Mild's demands. Back at home, they both had someone waiting for them, and Zenith Friction wasn't exactly a global phenomenon. They had a lot of success, but they weren't quite ready to take on Muse yet. But to be completely honest, Mew was relieved to learn that they intended to maintain it that way. Gulf no longer needed his music to be the focus of his entire existence. He was in a place now where he didn't rely on that crutch, no matter how much enjoyment the band offered him and Thanayut. Mew hoped Gulf and Mild (along with their newest band member, Alec) would take some much-needed time off with the arrival of the baby.

With a hovering hand at her back, Mew guided Bella through the airport's terminal. He wasn't sure when he'd become protective of her, but he'd grown a lot closer to her and Mild over the last few years of living with Gulf. It was a little strange at times, but he thought it was good that everyone could come together as a group in the end.