i. gear and beers

September 13th, 1983

Sintego Bar and Grill

10:32 p.m.

"But we'll never stop, we'll never quit, 'cause we're Metallica"

I couldn't resist banging my head to the song of the band playing at the bar. I sat in a purple leather booth, unlit cig dangling between my fingers, with my own band, where my manager was due to meet us. He was due to arrive any minute and not one of us knew why he requested this meet up, we just knew it was about our upcoming tour. 

"Enjoying yourself there, Astra?" My singer and bassist, Charlie asked with a bit of a smirk on his soft face. 

"Oh, fuck off." I muttered, taking a sip from the condensating beer on the stained table. I placed it firmly back down in annoyance, and turned my focus away from the band and to the clock, impatiently waiting for him to show.

"Is that a chick singer or not?" Our drummer, Don chuckled to himself from beside me. 

"Oh definitely. A chick singer who's balls dropped." Charlie tapped the table.

It was rare to find a female metal guitarist in a band, but even rarer to find a three-piece metal band with a chick guitarist. It was definitely a challenge for all of us, but we pushed through and had 1 album out. Charlie was 24, the oldest of us all. He had brown chocolate hair and loved picking on his bandmates, but in the end we were all good friends. Don was 23. He had a sick ass 70's afro and loved getting himself into trouble. And lastly there was me, Astra. I was 20, the youngest. I was just looking for kicks and a good time. And together we were Teenage Wasteland, inspired by The Who's song "Baba O'Riley", also our signature song to preform in our signature metal sound;

Teenage wasteland

It's only teenage wasteland

Teenage wasteland, oh, yeah

Teenage wasteland

They're all wasted

"How are we this fine night?" David Cartman, our manager, cheered as he arrived to the booth. 

"Davy!!!" I cheered as I got up to hug David, and he joined us in our drinks and shenanigans. "We're all having a great fucking time." 

"Evening, David. Welcome to the party." Charlie smiled. Don raised his beer to him and he smiled at us. David was in his mid-thirties. He saw us playing at a gig once and saw opportunity, then officially became our manager. He treats us like his best friends, but also like an over-protective dad when needed. He was 6'0, and always had a cigarette on hand.

"I'm sorry for being late, but we're all here to discuss the debut tour." A waitress handed him a bottle of beer and I leaned forward, eager to hear about the news and plan. "We'll be departing on the tour on September 20th as you all know, but I got you an opportunity to get even bigger crowds and bigger exposure and I'd say this is a great opportunity and you should accept it."