vii. knives and lies

September 21th, 1983

Room 301, Hotel.

1:05 a.m.

Could he snore any louder? I threw my pillow over my head, thinking that maybe if I'd kill myself I'd get some eternal rest

Could he snore any louder? I threw my pillow over my head, thinking that maybe if I'd kill myself I'd get some eternal rest. Lars had passed out an hour ago and I could not handle his snoring much longer. It was driving me insane. I heard some shuffling in the bathroom and knew Kirk was awake too. I felt so bad about making him sleep in the tub, and after a few minutes of mentally kicking myself and knowing I'd regret the decision, I got up and tip toed my way in the dark to the bathroom. 

I crept open the white door and stepped onto the cold tiles. "Kirk?" I whispered.

"Yeah?" He sat up in the uncomfortable tub, in a sleeveless shirt and boxers.

"C'mon I feel bad. You can stay with me."

"I'm okay, I promise, don't worry about it." 

"Shut up you've been moving around for an hour and a half. We gotta get up early tomorrow, it's fine." 

"If you insist." Kirk crawled out of the tub and followed me back to the bed, immediately giggling at Lars' snoring. "Hey it wasn't that funny the past hour and half I've been trying to get to sleep," I whispered, giggling with him. We slipped under the covers, and we faced away from each other. He smelt like coconut, cologne and hair products, a hypnotic and addicting scent that filled my senses. I woke up in half an hour to Kirk turning to face me, his arm brushing against my back and sending shivers down my spine. I smiled in the darkness and dozed off.

My peaceful tranquility was paused my loud banging on the door. "Wake up ladies!" James roared, snickering behind the door. I could hear Lars groaning from his bed, and I turned to face Kirk.

"Hiya."

"Good morning." His infectious smile spread to my face. 

"Wait," Lars ran over to my bed, leaning over Kirk with laughter spilling from his throat. "Ohoho, get a room lovers."

"Shut the fuck up, I was just being a decent person." I shot back, starting to get fed up with his "jokes".

"I'm not the one with Kirk in my bed, all pressed up nice and close." He started to put his clothes on, and I sat up in the bed, stretching with a big yawn. "I wonder how excited the others will be to hear about this."

"Ulrich!" I shouted, but it was too late. Lars had already ran out the door, and I got up to go after him but Kirk held me back.

"There's no use. I know Lars and I know the band, they'll forget about it soon enough. Plus it's not like we did anything." Kirk reassured me, but it hardly did anything for my nerves.

After we got dressed and freshened up, we left to join the others at the breakfast hall, where they sat at two large tables pressed together.

"If it isn't the two lovers?" Don cheered as the others whistled and yelped at the sight of us.

"We did nothing." I hissed, shooting him a dead look and sitting next to Charlie. 

"That's not what Lars said." Charlie turned to me as the others went back to their conversations. I shot my head to face him, and he explained. "He claimed to have hardly gotten any sleep from you two going at it all night."

I shot up from the table and walked over to Lars, dragging him out of his chair and pushing him down on the floor. "What the fuck did you tell them you little fuck."

"Woah, easy there tiger." He put his hands up in a joking matter, his band laughing but mine dead silent, knowing what I was capable of.

I grabbed the knife off of James' plate and held it up to Lars, and Charlie and Cliff stood up from the table. "You fuck with me and I'll cut your fucking tongue off, Ulrich." I growled as his look of amusement turned to fear.

"Woah there, Astra." Cliff grabbed me and pulled me away as James took the knife from my hands. "We know Lars is kidding don't worry." Cliff reassured me as he let go of me.

Lars squirmed off the floor, and we returned to our seats. Soon enough everyone was laughing and eating breakfast like nothing had happened. It was fun seeing Lars almost piss himself in fear, I'd admit. He fucking deserved it.

Soon enough we were on the road again, anxious for our first concert later that night together. David and Jonny were telling everyone the plan and we wrote our setlists to tape to the speakers so we wouldn't forget. I chewed on the tip of the marker in between deciding the final setlist. After some arguments and stressing, we finished it up and I looked around the bus for Kirk. I walked over to the back, where I found him reading a comic and drinking beer. 

"Hey Kirk." I plopped myself down next to him, nearly startling him.

"Hi there," He greeted me with a crooked smile. That damned smile.

"So I was thinking, for when we do our call and response on Seek and Destroy, when should I come out?"

"Well James should yell something like 'Guitars!' or some dumb shit and I'll start it, and then you can walk onto the stage, and we'll do it from there." He chuckled.

"Perfect, thank you." I subconsciously bit my lip as I let out a smile.

"Right! Draw cards for your rooms." David yelled out as we pulled up to the hotel. Cliff handed out the cards. 2 of hearts. I looked around to James holding up his 7 of hearts and shooting a devilish grin at me. Fuck.

I grabbed my bags, and slammed my card down onto the table frustratingly. I did not want to see what James was gonna be like drunk after a concert and alone with me. 

"Let's party." He cheered, following me off the bus.