viii. seek and destroy

September 21th, 1983

The Concert Venue

8:15 p.m.

"Shush, I need to enjoy my pre-show drink in peace

"Shush, I need to enjoy my pre-show drink in peace." I sighed in the dressing room, downing the liquor in the plastic cup. After some rest and changing for the show back at the hotel, we were anxiously anticipating the start of our gig. 

A pair of hands on my shoulders brought me out of my thoughts and Kirks smooth voice eased itself into my right ear. "It's gonna be great, we're gonna blow the roof off." As he let his hands slip down behind my back, he put butterflies in my stomach. Why was this happening? Why was I feeling this way?

Soon enough it was time to start, well for Teenage Wasteland. Metallica would perform after us. David went out, placing the papers with the setlist and scribbles of dicks and tits courtesy of Don onto the speakers for us, and grabbed the mic.

"Good evening Arizona! Are you ready to fucking party?" He screamed into the mic. The crowd roared and screamed in response, and he laughed, "I present to you, Teenage Wasteland!" and pranced off the stage.

I took a deep breath, and walked up the stairs to my corner of the stage, taking the patch cord off the amp and plugging in my guitar. With some tapping, I adjusted the volume and we were good to go. 

I held my breath as I signaled to Charlie that we were good to go. He started off our song, with that unforgettable opening bass riff from the record and soon enough we were thrashing our minds out. I could barely feel my fingers as they flew across the fret board, calloused and numb to the strings from years of playing. Nothing was as good as a feeling as performing, it's like we were fucking each and everyone person in the audience, a sensual, deep connection that no one could understand until they had performed themselves. The whiplash from constant headbanging didn't phase me anymore, nor did it for anyone else. I couldn't hear my own thoughts from how loud we were, which is why I loved it so much. It was just us and the music. I threw out one of my best solos yet on our song "Demolition Derby" that even Charlie was watching me as he plucked his bass strings in awe. It was like my fingers had a mind of their own, sweep picking, tapping, bending, sliding, harmonizing and pulling the strings until the song was over, and everyone screamed and cheered. I let out a smile, panting and sweating.

"I know you fucks are getting wasted tonight aren't ya?" Charlie talked to the crowd, as I drank my beer to rehydrate, after sweating everything out. "Why don't we bring you back to where it all started, bring you to teenage wasteland." I plucked our metal rendition of the intro to "Baba O'Riley" by The Who, and the crowd went wild. 

Everyone screamed as Charlie's voice roared through the verses, and sang along. It hit hard as they sang along, an unreal feeling almost.

"Sally, take my hand. We'll travel south 'cross land.

Put out the fire and don't look past my shoulder.

The exodus is here, the happy ones are near.

Let's get together before we get much older."

After we finished our set with a power-filled guitar solo to our song "Lover's Beat", Me and Don walked off stage as Charlie took his time to introduce Metallica.

"That was fucking amazing!" Kirk yelled, the others agreeing. 

"Why thank you," Don smiled and I nodded. "Have fun, crowd's great."

"See ya at Seek and Destroy," Kirk winked at me and I shot a smirk at him.

"Ladies and Gents, Metallica!" Charlie hopped past them off the stage as James talked to the crowd to pump them up before they started their set. As Don went backstage, I stayed on the side stage to watch. Kirk kept catching my eyes, wearing black jeans and a white button down only buttoned at his waist so his chest could be exposed. I'd admit, he looked great. In between giggling at Cliff's demon-faces and James' shouts of excitement, I couldn't take my eyes off of Kirk. I smiled and left to get my flying v ready as I heard the opening notes to "Seek and Destroy".

A crew member plugged in my guitar and gave me a thumbs up as James shouted. "You aren't fucking ready for this. Guitars!" I ran up the stage and the crowd cheered as Kirk started the call and response, and we kept it going. We weren't trying to outdo each other or be better than the other, we were fooling around and having fun, mindlessly soloing whatever came out of our fingers and onto the fret board in between the bands' backing track. After the solos, I joined them in the rest of the song, the riff being one of the most fun ones I've ever had to play, I'd admit. I leaned against James and Kirk as we headbanged and played, and I ran around the stage laughing in complete bliss. After the song, James thanked the crowd for us, and we pranced off stage, soaked in sweat and panting.

"Let's fucking shower and meet at the bar at 11:45, that gives you half an hour." Charlie stated, smoking a cigarette.

"You're fucking on." I smiled, as we handed our instruments to the roadies and left into the car to the hotel.

"God you all stink!" David groaned, smoking a cigar with Jonny in the front.

"Stench of success, David, sweet sweet success."