xviii. face to face

November, 17th, 1983

The Bus, Somewhere in L.A

7:44 p.m.

Drenched in sweat, stinking of smoke and beer, we were on the bus, 3 stops till we got back home and ended the tour

Drenched in sweat, stinking of smoke and beer, we were on the bus, 3 stops till we got back home and ended the tour. It had been a wild ride, I rubbed my temples and ached from my headache and my ears were constantly ringing. I prayed it would go away after the tour, but other than that it went great. Kirk and I got much, much, closer, and we knew almost everything about each other. So that's why I took it as a surprise when after the show he said he wanted to rest... alone. We didn't spend all our time together, it was impossible for even sex addicts to fuck every night and we hadn't in a week, so I was starting to feel a little frustrated. Even when we weren't together that way, we were still smoking and drinking together or watching a movie or just talking, so this was weird.

I brushed it off, everyone needed alone time and I was feeling my social battery dying, thinking it was a good opportunity to write a song. I was sharing my room with James, who was acting weird around me for a month now. Every time we'd bunk together he'd look at me funny and I just got weird energy. He was so difficult to read but I knew something was up. Kirk walked me to my room, James trailing a bit behind. He whispered a goodnight as I told him how exhausted I was and left with Lars to their room, and as soon as I got in the room with its yellow pasty walls and cracked ceiling I collapsed on the bed in exhaustion, ready to fall asleep right then and there.

"Tired?" I opened my eyes to find James looking directly down at me, enclosing our faces in a curtain of blonde hair.

"A little." I giggled, and he smiled cheerily. "Three more days, fuck I'm gonna miss this though."

"Let's live them up then? Wanna find a bar or some shit?" He waved his arms enthusiastically, raising his voice and grabbing my hand in order to try to convince me out of my exhaustion and somehow give me a spike of energy.

"Hmmm... Fuck it, who knows when we'll get another gorgeous night like this with the fall." I smiled, and James ran for the door. "Hold it Hetfield, we gotta shower."

"Together?" He smirked, and sighed after I eyed him down, roaring with laughter. "Suit yourself, join if you want."

He grabbed a venom shirt and ripped jeans, and shut the bathroom door behind him, not locking it. I heard the shower start running and stared at the cracked ceiling, following the paths of crack with my eyes like a train on track.

-

After my shower, I threw on fishnets, black boots, a short black skirt, and a red halter. I walked out the bathroom to James eyeing me, analyzing the difference in my appearance.

"You look like a hot hooker." He smiled after a moment. I sighed, walking ahead of him to the door as he threw on a leather jacket.