xix. mistakes

November, 18th, 1983

Mint Rock Hotel, Somewhere in L.A

2:33 a.m

James led me back to the hotel, as I groaned for my bed and held onto him as if I were to fall into a void if I let go

James led me back to the hotel, as I groaned for my bed and held onto him as if I were to fall into a void if I let go. We turned into a hall, one of many before, the entire hotel felt like a maze that only got longer and longer. Suddenly, I froze, my eyes beholding the sight of him. Him, the man I grew to love and adore and knew more well than my own self. Kirk. Kirk kissing a neck of a girl, some blonde with big tits and a beautiful smile. 

"Shit..." James whispered from next to me, tightening his grip.

"Go to the room," I muttered. 

"But.." He protested, but I cut him off.

"Go. Now," And with that he did, and Kirk didn't move an eye from the girl as James walked past him and down the hall, staring him down and closing his hand into a fist. After a few shaky breaths, I mustered up the courage and walked towards him, everything empty in my mind but the thought of him. I stopped behind the girl, and as his eyes shot back and finally noticed me, the flirty smiled he held instantly dropped as his face went pale. 

"Angie, I think you best be going home," He said, pushing her down the hall rather aggressively as she cursed him out. As soon as the echo of her heeled footsteps faded, he turned to me. I stood there mouth agape, tears spilling from my eyes, yet no sound of tremble or croak came from my throat. Sad silence. I looked at him, watching his thoughts spiral as he thought of something, anything to say, to excuse it, to get me to forgive him.

"She... she meant nothing to me." He stuttered, his face turning red. He looked at me, holding my face, brown eyes glazing, dark, romantic, hopeful.

"Don't give me those eyes," I looked away, at the ground, my hands, his hands on my cheeks, back down to the floor. " 'Cause you know me and I can't say "no" to you when you look at me like that."

"Astra, baby, sweetheart, my love, please listen to me. It was a mistake... an accident." He pleaded, wiping tears from my face with his thumbs. "This wasn't meant to happen."

"This was never meant to happen. Me and you. From the beginning, we were never supposed to happen. This was supposed to be professional, but for a second, a blink of an eye, I thought that maybe..." She stopped, closing her eyes and letting out a quiet sob. "This big disaster of an evening was never meant to happen, and I wish I could rewind the tour and forget all the things that you had said. Except I can't."

I stood there in the hall, staring at the man I loved oh so dearly, as if he'd shoved a knife right through my heart.

"Sweetheart, this was never going to work..." Kirk looked at me as if I were insane, out of my mind and acting like a ridiculous person who had let the shots go to her head. His dress shirt was crinkled from where Angie had been holding it earlier, hair ruffled and face a tense picture of remorse and disappointment.