>1<

George POV.

I woke up to my father's strong grip on my shoulder and winced.
He stood near my bed and yelled something at me, but I barely heard what he wanted me to do as I was still half asleep.
However, the feeling of tiredness dissipated immediately as he gripped my shoulder tighter and pulled me halfway out of bed- only to have my upper body hit the floor seconds later.

With a groan of pain I sat up again and sat on the edge of the bed, my father telling me something about a very important meeting and that I should dress appropriately for it- it was going to start in eight hours and it would take us about six and a half hours to get there.
I just gave him a nod in response, which finally got him out of my room.

I rubbed my eyes tiredly and thought back to the dream I had.
It hurt to know that the picture of my mother and I on a bench in the park wasn't real, even though I imagined it and dreamed of having her with me all of the time.
The dream brought back old memories, I got up and made my way to the bathroom to try to ignore and forget it.

When I got there, I looked in the mirror with tired eyes and briefly laughed at myself.
It would take a lot of concealer to cover that up...
My father should have thought of that meeting before he messed up my eye like that.
And why did he do that? Apparently because he found my makeup and didn't want his son to do anything 'gay'.
Kind of ironic that he now expected me to cover the bruise with exactly what caused it in the first place.

With a sigh, I turned the faucet to the coldest setting and bent down to wash my face, suppressing a whimper when I accidentally put too much pressure onto my eye with my finger.
The cool water made my tiredness disappear within a few seconds and I stood up straight again to dry my face.

As I went through my morning routine, I thought about what he might be up to.
The last one of these meetings ended in extreme confusion and chaos, I almost died being held at gunpoint for a few seconds - however one of my father's guards shot the man aiming his gun at my head.

But my father didn't care back then.
I knew that he didn't love me, of course he made it clear to me every day with punches, kicks and such things, but I stayed with him and did what he said anyway.
I didn't want to lose him and hoped deep down that he would eventually change and show me affection- even though that was just a dream that I could only live out in my imagination and never really experience.

As I stood in front of the mirror, fully dressed in a black shirt and dark trousers, I took one last look at myself.
My hair was a bit messy and didn't look perfect, but I couldn't stop it from sticking out in all directions.
The with concealer covered blue-purple coloring of the bruise on my eye was just a little swollen now, but you wouldn't be able to tell from afar.

With a fake smile I left the bathroom and came down the stairs to my father, who was already waiting for me and gave me a quick look as if he wanted to punish me for being late - but he didn't do it and pointed me out to follow him.

As we walked to his car, I kept my head down, not making eye contact, just walking behind him at a distance and not letting it seem as if I belonged to him.
It was already normal for me to do that since several months ago he taught me to pretend we didn't know each other
through one of those... Well, worse punishments.

It had almost always been like this and probably always would be - until he'd find a way to cut me out of his life completely.
I didn't know if I should be looking forward to that day or if I should be afraid of it.
He had strong aggression problems and often didn't know what he was doing to me when he was angry.
At least that's what I told myself every day.
I didn't know why I was trying to hold on to what had died a few years ago myself, but I had to do it anyway.
It was not possible for me to see that the relationship between me and my father was lost.

I got into the white vehicle and buckled my seat belt while my father climbed into the driver's seat and did the same.
He looked at me briefly from the side and seemed to scrutinize me, so I decided to do the same.

He wore a black suit with a gray shirt underneath, black trousers, brown leather shoes and a dark brown tie.
His brown-grey hair was pulled back and only a few strands hung in his face.
He had shaved, so his normally visible beard was now only revealed by hard-to-see stubble.
He looked at me through gray-blue eyes and rolled his eyes as we made brief eye-contact, turning his intense gaze to the street.

"We have to go to Florida."

He kept his eyes on the road as he turned the key and the engine made noises.
I stared at him, eyebrows furrowed, but I didn't want to ask him why the meeting was there or why I had to go there with him in the first place.
After a few seconds I turned my head to the window and watched as the house we were currently living in slowly but surely faded from view.

"It's an important deal with an old friend.
He's got a lot of weapons and explosives that we could use and we can take the loss of $10,000 for those."

"Can we though? I'm sure I remember just a few weeks ago we owed someone 5000 and you didn't have enough."

He didn't seem to like my answer a lot and gave me a disdainful look out of the corner of his eye.
He gave a short mocking smile before turning his full attention back to the road.

"This isn't just some guy with a drug addiction that we can rip off, George.
This is the Hawk we're talking about, and he finds his ways of making deals..."

I just nodded and continued looking out the window before slowly closing my eyes and trying to go back to sleep, as there was still a long way to go and I could catch up on some sleep before then.

My hand was on my cheek and I leaned on it.
It was a false, deceptive feeling, but it gave me security.

Pretending it wasn't my hand that was on my face.

Pretending it wasn't my thumb running across my skin.

Pretending my mother did it to comfort me, as if she were still alive.

1210 Words

A.N.
I hope you liked the first chapter :D
if there are any errors, I'd appreciate it if you pointed them out to me, as I had to search up some words that I didn't know the meaning of before and I'm not too sure if I translated everything correctly!
Have a good day / night! <3