>18<

Wilbur POV.

After a few more seconds of thought, James sighed slightly and began talking, keeping his eyes on the floor.

"My wife, Kate, was my everything back then.
She loved me the way I was, she wasn't like all other women who cheated on me in the past or just left me after a while like that... She was the best that could've ever happened to me, what we had was so... special...

You have to know that George was not a wanted child.
He was an accident and I asked Kate to get an abortion or put him up for adoption too, but she refused to let our only son go, so we had to raise him.

She always loved him very much and mainly took care of him, I had a neutral relationship with him. I had a lot of things to do because of my team as well as our businesses and because of that I couldn't spend much time with my family anyway..."

He paused and collected himself, I could see tears glistening in his eyes as he refused to look up from his feet.

"One day one of our biggest enemies found out that I had a wife and a child and decided to... pay my family a visit.
George was in his room that night and slept while Kate was still awake downstairs in the kitchen, baking a cake because it was George's birthday the next day and she wanted to surprise him by that.

They shot Kate in the chest, left her dead body and were about to go upstairs to kill George too, but I got home just then and shot the killers before I realized what they had done...
The image of her corpse on the floor is burned behind my eyes, every time I close them I just see my dead wife lying on our kitchen tiles motionless with a puddle of blood beneath her..."

He gritted his teeth and sobbed a little, still trying to pull himself together and calm down.
After a while, during which Dream and I silently listened to his cries and whimpers, James took a deep breath and dried his tears, tilting his head to the side and wiping his face on his shirt as he was still tied to the chair and was unable to free his hands to do that with them.

"If George hadn't been born, those motherfuckers would never have felt like looking for my family in the first place...
Had he not been born, my wife would not have spent all her time with him and thereby neglected our relationship...
If he hadn't been born, she wouldn't have been in the kitchen that night to prepare his birthday and she could have escaped her death."

James raised his eyes now and stared at Dream, the corners of mouth turned down into a frown, with nothing but hatred and sadness in his light eyes.
In a way, I could understand his emotions.
I would be furious myself if someone killed my girlfriend Sally, whom I loved with all my heart, this way, but that did not excuse James' behavior.
As if reading my mind, Dream raised his voice and spoke exactly what I had been thinking out loud.

"George is not responsible for your wife's death, James.
You have to remember that not only have you lost your wife, he lost his mother as well.
Besides, it's not his fault that those enemies of yours found Kate first."

James looked down again and didn't respond to Dream's words, whereupon Dream sighed loudly and rose from his kneeling position, looking down at the man tied to the chair.

"What you did to him cannot be excused by your grief.
I'd like to say that I feel sorry for you, but I won't lie to you.
The fact that you emotionally left your son after you were the only parent he had left after losing his mother, then took away his friendships and abused him, doesn't make your punishment any less bad, I hope you understand that."

Dream nodded his head for me to follow him and then turned to leave the basement, followed by me without letting James answer again.
After the door closed with a loud bang, Dream sighed and ran his hands through his hair before looking me in the eyes with a help-seeking look.
I raised both my arms defensively in front of my chest in mock intimidation and backed up slightly to avoid his desperate eye contact.