>30<

Dream POV.

It was already evening when I finally got around to making my way to the medical department of the HQ with Sapnap and, in an unusual turn of events, Ranboo.

I had a lot of things to take care of beforehand. Things like watching the surveillance tapes and questioning the people who had talked to Fundy that night were the two most important factors of this period of time for me.
Seeing what had really happened to George gave me a feeling I had never felt in this way before.
It was difficult for me to put my exact thoughts into words when I stood in front of a screen in the computer room with some of the others and watched the events of the night before.
Words like disgust, desperation, fear, anger, aggression and pain would only begin to capture my emotions.

There were microphones on the cameras, so if you listened carefully, you could hear every word spoken, shouted, or even whispered.
The desperation and fear in George's eyes broke my heart and brought tears to my eyes, and Fundy's smile as he slit open the already healed self-harm scars on the brunette's arms gave me the perfect reasons for multiple assassination plots to come up sometime to deal with this problem if we ever found Fundy again.

Several sharp gasps and expressions of disgust could be heard from the group as George's leg was broken with a snap by an unidentified movement from Fundy.
His facial expression accurately described the emotions one would have at such a moment, but he didn't scream.
He looked like he was trying, like he really wanted to scream, but couldn't.
His mouth actually opened, but all that was heard was a broken sob just before Fundy's closed fist collided with his cheek.

A few times I got confused, skeptical or almost knowing looks when Fundy spoke to the shorter one about me and George didn't want to answer directly, as if he had something to hide.
This hesitation before George answered anything actually got me thinking this time too.
It made me believe there was at least a tiny chance he might have some interest in me.

That belief was tempered slightly when George started crying and telling Fundy that there would never be a possibility for a relationship like this between the brunette and me.
However, his reasons for doing so were mostly based on my feelings towards him, so it still made me suspicious.
He just said that I could never be interested in him, that he was nothing and I only saw him as someone who couldn't defend himself and just needed help all the time.
Of course, none of these claims were true, but they left an uncomfortable squeeze in my chest. Even though George didn't really think his words were true, the way he said them made it seem like he actually believed what he was saying.
Just the thought of him worrying about it made me ache inside.
i liked george
I really, really liked him...

I shook my thoughts out of my head as Sapnap put a worried hand on my shoulder, as I had been standing motionless and lost in my thoughts just outside the door of Puffy's office for several seconds now, making no move to raise my fist-clenched hand and to knock on the wooden door.

"Dream, it's okay, calm down..."

I let out a shaky breath while nodding cautiously and after knocking shortly, I opened the door to enter the room.
Puffy was sitting at her desk looking through a closet, seemingly searching for something, and her assistant River was standing a few feet behind her by some drawers, searching through them as well.
Neither of them paid any attention to us entering, and didn't seem to care much until Ranboo cleared his throat, giving both of the doctors half a heart attack.

"Gosh, Ranboo... Don't scare us like that...
Dream, sorry but you have to be patient for a moment, George just woke up but complained about the bandages on his arms because they were too tight. I panicked when I put them on, wasn't careful enough and tied them too tight and the old ones I've already unwound from the cuts are covered in blood, but- Ughhh... We can't find fresh fucking bandages! River, 92nd lesson, never make the bandages too tight or this shit will happen..."

"You mean bandages like eh... These ones?"

Sapnap picked up four white rolls of bandages from Puffy's desk, which were right in front of her the entire time.
The doctor sighed in exasperation, snatched the bandages from Sap's hand and motioned for all of us to follow her to George's room.
River and Puffy both seemed pretty exhausted already, after all they hadn't done anything for the last eight hours other than treating the brunette's many injuries and forcing various medications into his body so that he wouldn't be in too much pain when he woke up.
I felt incredibly sorry for them both and knew they really deserved a day off...

Puffy walked into the injured man's room without saying anything and immediately walked towards him before grabbing River, giving them two of the four bandages, and directing them to the other side of the bed so they could bandage their left and right arms at the same time.
George lay almost motionless on the hospital bed and looked at nothing particular, looking slightly dazed, as if he was barely aware of what was actually going on around him.

"Don't worry, he might be a little eh... not quite here yet, but that should be over soon. Actually, I thought the medication was wearing off by now-"

"Puffy, I'm not high on the drugs you gave me anymore..."

George's gaze finally left the spot on the wall where it was previously pinned and turned in the direction of the doctor instead, seeming a bit irritated.
She just sighed in response and sat in a chair on the right side of the bed before lifting the wounded man's arm and applying the bandages while River did the same on the left side.
As the two did so, Puffy gave the trainee some tips and instructions to ensure that they would not make the same mistakes in the future as she had that day.

The brunette's eyes were no longer on the wall from before, but he looked into a corner of the room, which is why I decided to follow his saddened gaze.
In said corner was a chair, on which lay George's torn clothes from the night of the meeting.
There were many bloodstains on them and it was clear that they had been dragged across the floor.
This is exactly what we had to watch when we looked at the recordings.
George was now wearing a white t-shirt that loosely covered his torso and short shorts of the same color. The standard clothes you get when Puffy treats you.
One of George's legs was wrapped in a very thick bandage, indicating that this was the leg that Fundy had broken.
There were already two crutches against the wall next to the bed.
He probably won't walk without these supports for a long while...

"Alright! Okay, and make sure you always ask at the end of each treatment if the patient is comfortable with the bandages. George...?"

I turned my attention back to the doctor and the brunette. George just nodded sadly and then leaned his head against the wall behind him.

"Is there anything else we can help you with, or do you think we can go now and give you some rest..?"

George turned his head in River's direction and answered only after a moment's hesitation.

"Could you get me something to eat and drink? I haven't had anything..."

"No problem, River, come on. Let's go and get him something."

As Puffy spoke, she stood up and motioned for River to follow her.
She closed the door carefully behind herself as she left the room after her trainee.
Sapnap spoke first after we remained silent for a few seconds, meanwhile stepping closer to the bed where his best friend was lying.

"So, eh... How exactly did all this... Happen?"

Oh, right.
I had forgotten about that.
We agreed not to tell him that we knew exactly what happened, to find out if Fundy's threats had really triggered anything in him.
I personally didn't like this idea at all as it felt like we were lying to him and using him for this information, however I was overruled in the computer room by most of the others.
'It would help us to know what mental state he is in at the moment'; as if he didn't already have enough problems to play around with such games.

"I am sorry.
I- I was talking to a bunch of people about James and it really got me down and- well the- the alcohol affected me quite a bit too and I had a... relapse...
I didn't mean to hurt myself, but I wasn't quite myself... I'm really, really sorry..."

Or maybe the others were right not to tell George directly...

1545 words