>19<

Dream POV.

I gently laid George on his bed and carefully covered him with his blanket while he shifted a bit in his sleep.
With a smile, I stood by him for a few more seconds, watching his chest rise and fall regularly.
It calmed me a way to see him like this, without the constant stress and fear on his face.
Now he just looked calm and relaxed and I made it my goal to see those feelings in him more often in the future and to help him banish his fear and insecurity as I slowly stepped away from the bed and headed for the door.

Before I could ponder my plan any further or worry about how exactly I was going to achieve this goal, I heard the door open with a loud bang against the wall and then saw Sapnap, who was staring at me, panting and leaning on his knees .
My gaze immediately snapped back to George and I was relieved to see that he was still fast asleep, although Sapnap's entry into the room could not be overheard and I felt like everyone in the house should have heard it...

"Dream, I-"

"shhhh!"

I pointed to the sleeping brunette and interrupted my best friend as he was talking way too loud and might wake him up after all.

I nodded to him for whatever he wanted to discuss with me outside and followed him after he turned and left the room.
I closed the door carefully and quietly behind me after making sure George really hadn't woken up and sighed in exasperation after turning to Sapnap and seeing his skeptical expression.
It seemed to me that he was scrutinizing me, almost analyzing my behavior, but I put an end to it by grabbing his arm and pulling him down the hall along with me.

After a few more steps, I let go of his arm and continued walking towards the lounge area near the entrance, only to sit down on one of the sofas there a few moments later and look at Sapnap expectantly while he gave me a slightly guilty look .
He sat down next to me with a sigh and seemed to consider his choice of words for a moment, before looking at me again and starting to talk.

"So... As you know, Karl and I were out for a walk a few hours ago. We passed an ice cream shop and that's where we saw Samantha, only she was... Well, she was... not alone there..."

I frowned at my best friend and motioned with my expression for him to continue.

"She was there with a woman who then also... Well... kissed her...?"

For a moment the room was silent and Sap didn't even dare to look me in the eye, instead staring at his shoes on the floor.
However, had he looked at me properly, he would have seen a look of sheer confusion and shock.
After a while he sighed very heavily again and forced himself to look at me before speaking with an apologetic expression.

"Me and Karl talked to her about it and she told us that she is a lesbian and her feelings towards you were never really romantic. She was afraid to tell you because she thought you would be mad or she would be in danger if our enemies could get at her- because they know you care about her and could have used her as some kind of leverage...
I asked Ranboo and Phil to find Samantha a job and an apartment so she could take care of herself on her own and I wanted to find someone who would agree to protect her until our enemies find out that she's no longer your girlfriend.

I know this is all a bit much and it's really coming out of nowhere (almost like some writer planned this in advance to use cheating as a plan to get rid of Dream's gf, right?) but I wanted to let you know. She wasn't planning on leaving you, she even wanted to keep dating other people behind your back and didn't want to tell you about it, so I had to.
I am very sorry..."

"Sapnap, I-"

"And I told her that you would stay with us here in the quarters tonight so that she could pack her things."

"Sap-"

"Besides, she said she still thinks you're a great guy even though she's not attracted to you."

"I-"

"I have to agree with her, you're great! You're good without her just the way you are, and-"

"Sap!"

- - - - - quick POV switch to - - - - -
~~ Sapitus napitus the 69th ~~

Dream looked at me with an unfamiliar look after I didn't interrupt him anymore and let his eyes wander to the floor, it seemed to me that he was thinking intensively about what he wanted to tell me.

"...She was always so...weird about the topic me being bisexual, maybe that was kind of a sign of it... God I was stupid, I really- I really thought she loved me..."

Towards the end of his sentence, tears formed in his eyes and his voice trailed off in a heartbreaking sob, at which point I immediately pulled him into a hug and rubbed his back reassuringly.
It made me incredibly sad and also incredibly angry to see how his now ex-girlfriend made my best friend feel like this.
Normally he was always the rather quiet, rational, independent and sometimes threatening mafia boss who feared nothing and nobody, didn't put up with anything and only rarely lost his composure. Seeing and hearing him so vulnerable and... broken just didn't feel right.
Samantha didn't have the right to take advantage of him and pretend to be in love with him for such a long time, just to disappoint him like this.
(Although Sagittarius Northpole actually brings the news and has to disappoint him- oh well, I don't need logic to write about emotional Drê)

Dream and I just sat there on the sofa for a while, hugging each other.
Every now and then he would sob or cry harder than before and I would do my best to calm him down and reassure him that everything was fine and that she was in the wrong, not him.
He blamed himself over and over and over again for letting her into his life in the first place and allowing her to make him feel so devastated, but every single time I reminded him that he couldn't have known and that she should have told him sooner, or at least should've had the dignity to tell him in person.

After a while I noticed Dream stop crying and relax more, with a quick look at his face I realized that he had fallen asleep.
With a sad smile, I carefully released him from the hug and gently laid him in a lying position before taking a blanket I found on one of the armchairs in the room and covering him with it.
As I stepped away from him and made my way back to mine and Karl's room, a thought occurred to me.

In a way it reminded me of George, although his and Dream's "problem" were not comparable.
George had been sexually abused, traumatized and hurt while Dream was going through a breakup.
These two scenarios weren't remotely similar and George was 100% far worse off than Dream was, however, my best friends' reactions had something in common.
They both blamed themselves for the cause of their suffering.
I made a mental note to myself about convincing my best friends otherwise.

1275 words
I really dislike this chapter in every way.