>38<

(present day, time travel is over)

Drista POV.

"we'll see you again very soon, alright Honey?"

Aunt Melanie smiled at me reassuringly as she and my uncle stood by the door to set off on their weekend trip.
The pair always took time out for each other pretty much every other month, spending two or three days alone traveling to certain sights or visiting distant relatives, so they continued this tradition that particular weekend as well.

"Okay, have lots of fun! I'll see you on Sunday!"

I waved at them again while my aunt closed the front door with a smile and turned to carry her bags into the car.
My heart felt heavy as I slowly climbed the stairs to my room, but I knew I had made the right decision to go through with my plan.
Of course it hurt to leave my aunt and uncle behind, but I just had to find my father and brother.
There was no turning back for me.

I had planned this exact day down to the smallest details for months, so I knew everything that I had to do.
I had written two letters to the both of them weeks ago and all I had to do was place them on the dining room table before I left so they knew how much I loved them, and they could figure out what I was going to do next.
Of course, I also explained why I was doing it and how it came about in the first place, but I left out the fact that being called weak by my uncle was still incredibly upsetting to me, and that it was one of the reasons why I tried so hard to do this in the first place.
I needed to prove to him and to myself that I was capable of doing what I wanted to.

I had trained, had learned some fighting techniques, learned how to defend myself, and knew how to use all kinds of weapons.
Please don't ask me how I had learned all this in the last three years, literally noone should know about any of that, really...

I found out that he was in touch with my brother through my contact with Tommy.
He was drunk, like actually shit faced drunk, like I'm not kidding, I thought he might collapse and throw up all over himself any second, and completely out of his mind, when he sent me a video of a party he was at with his friends.
They all wore suits, dress shirts, or other fancy clothes, which struck me as odd.
The video was fuzzy, there were bright, rainbow-colored lights flashing throughout the room, and very loud music playing in the background.

I was beginning to guess what was going on as I saw the concerned looks from the guys in the background.
They whispered to each other, and through the deafening music, you couldn't make out a word, but I  could partially read their lips.

"He'll definitely give us away to her"

"He should turn off the fucking phone before he says anything stupid"

"Tom, put that thing down, someone wants to talk to you-"

And then there he was.

My brother, dressed in an elegant suit, walking up to Tommy, my best internet friend of many years.
Shortly after Clay walked into the frame, the video was cut off and Tommy deleted our entire chat history, but I had already saved it in my camera roll.
Of course I didn't tell him that, pretending I didn't even know what video or party he was talking about the next day, which seemed to reassure him.
He trusted me.
We'd been friends on Discord for about five years, and we'd play countless hours of Minecraft each week, and we'd have endless late-night calls and often overly trivial, or rarely fairly deep conversations, until the sun rose again.
He was one of my best friends, along with our other two friends Erin and Freddy.

Tommy was a really great, nice and incredibly likeable guy and my best friend, but he was way, way too careless and clumsy to be involved in the mafia whatsoever.
In a video call from us, he ran out onto the street in his pajamas at 3:00 a.m. to do a task for me while we played truth or dare, and he gave me the address of the building he was in through that.
It didn't take me long to find out exactly where he lived with his colleagues and friends, and after a few hours of research, I finally found the building.
It was huge.
I didn't want to exaggerate, but it was literally a fucking mansion.