>43<

George POV.

When I was woken up by my phone alarm the next morning, Dream had already been long gone.
However, he left me a small note on the bedside table on which he wrote that he had prepared a small breakfast and that it was waiting for me on the dining table.
This was followed by about 5 lines in which he explained his love for me in detail, and dozens of small painted hearts that covered every blank inch of the paper.

I couldn't help but smile as I stood up, still tired, and placed the note in the top drawer of the dresser next to the closet.
It was now safely stored above countless other sweet morning notes from my boyfriend that had accumulated over the last few years.
Each one was different from the last, with different words, different nicknames and different forms of declarations of love.
Not a single one was ever exactly the same as another, and it always brought a grin to my face when I woke up and found one of those pieces of paper.

It didn't happen very often that Dream went somewhere without me while he couldn't say goodbye to me in person, since we mostly left the house together these days to go to the headquarters, but a note like that always came when it couldn't be like that.
Even if we were arguing about something probably trivial the night before, despite the tension between us, he would leave me one of those notes to silently tell me that he loved me and no argument would ever change that.

With a tired yawn, I stretched again and then grabbed a pair of socks, a pair of my sweatpants and one of Dream's t-shirts from the closet before changing and going down the stairs to the dining room.
As promised, there was a plate on the table with a few pancakes alongside some fruit, and a cup of my favorite tea.
I had to grin again and happily started eating the prepared breakfast while scrolling through my phone and answering various messages.
After a while, when I finished, I also sent Dream a message, thanking him and complimenting his cooking skills.
The message didn't even get delivered, which surprised me a bit, but I didn't think about it too much and instead got up with my plate to wash it in the sink with the rest of the dishes.

After that, I just did a few more household chores; Among other things, I loaded the dirty laundry into the washing machine, hung the dry laundry from the drying rack, folded it and then put it back in the closet, and fed Patches.
I was actually surprised at how quickly the cat got used to me when I first met her when I moved in with her and Dream.
Dream told me that she wasn't usually very comfortable with strangers and I was the only exception.
Patches let me pet her the first day I met her already, purring and meowing loudly, which promptly made Dream jokingly propose to me since the cat apparently was "the only one who could show him if the person he loved was worth it".
In short, Patches had never really warmed up to Samantha.

...

I was just making the bed in our room when I suddenly jumped, startled by the sound of glass shattering downstairs.
After just a few seconds, Patches ran up the stairs to me before hiding under the bed while I stood there, frozen, breathing shallowly.
I heard footsteps, more smashed glass and laughter.
When I heard the first footsteps on the stairs, I dropped the blanket I was holding, ran into the bathroom in a panic, and locked the door behind me as quickly as I could, only to press myself against the opposite wall as far away from it as possible.
A strange voice sang my name and a chill ran down my spine as I held my breath.
I had to put my hand over my mouth to stop myself from making any noise.

I didn't know what was happening at that moment, but I did have some terrible assumptions and theories about what was going on that were running through my head wildly.
I was barely able to think clearly as the constant sounds of destruction from below only grew louder and louder, creating a chorus of horror with the various fearful thoughs in my head.
I always knew something like this was bound to happen at some point.
What I didn't expect was that I would be completely on my own, panicked and unprepared when it happened.