Chapter 34: First Year (pt. 5)

Two years ago (first year of senior high school)
Part Five

(Togara's POV)

"Mihora...Nakumatsu." I said.

"Saki, introduce yourself." She said to her friend.

"Do I have to?" Her friend asked as Nakumatsu nodded.

"Saki. Saki Hanabi." Her friend said as she did a small bow.

"Y-You're Nakumatsu?" I asked.

"Yeah." She said.

"You're in the student council, aren't you?" I asked.

"Yeah." She said.

"Then could you help me join it?" I asked.

"Sure." She said.
______________________________

                 [Student Council Room]

"Write your first and last name here then fill out the form." The secretary said.

"I didn't expect you to be recruiting people to join the student council, Nakumatsu-san." The secretary said.

"Well, he was the one who kindly asked me." She said.

"Just so you know, you are the president's favorite." The secretary said. "Lots of students look up to you."

"Done." I said as I handed the form to the secretary.

"Great. The president will be here next week and he'll assign you a position." The secretary said as she left the room.

It was just me and Nakumatsu in the room. It was quiet...

"So..." Nakumatsu said as she tried to start a conversation.

"Hm?" I said.

"What made you want to join the student?" She asked. "Perhaps, you also wanted to be recognized?" She asked.

"Well...it was Nakamura's suggestion," I said.

"Nakamura?" She said.

"On the first day of school, I told her that she should join an art club because of her amazing drawing skills. I didn't think she would join a club and make lots of friends..." I said.

"But...she did," I said. "It felt strange because when I was in middle school, no one would listen to my advice. They would just ignore me."

"But Nakamura didn't ignore you, right?" She asked.

"Yeah," I said.

"And since she didn't ignore you, that meant a lot to you, didn't it?" She asked as she smiled.

"Yeah. Wait how do you know?" I asked her.

"I can relate." She said. "I have four younger siblings to take care of since my mother is all on her own."

"My father passed away when I was young so it was hard for our family."

"I wanted to help my mother because it's not easy to take care of five kids and work at a job at the same time."

"When I was in Junior high school, my mom told me to make lots of friends."

"Friends that'll care for you, understand you and help you."

"I tried making friends in middle school, however, it only led people to ignore me and become jealous."

"But there was one person who didn't ignore me. she was Saki..."

"That girl who called you Mi-Mi?" I asked.

"Yeah." She said. "Saki told me to not feel sad if people ignored me."

"She said that even if I have the whole world against me, she would never abandon me."

"She's the one who suggested me to join the student council, to be recognized by others."

"So that's why you joined the student council, huh."  I said.

"I want to be friends with everyone. I really do. But...some people just don't like me for some reason."

"The president gave me a chance to be noticed by many people. He told me that I am his favorite."

Looks like I don't really deserve to be noticed by many...

"What's wrong?" She asked me as I looked a little upset.

"Nothing." I said.

"But you know..." She said as she looked at the window.

"Do I really deserve such thing?" She asked as she turned to look at me, having a smile on her face.

"I...want to share it!" She said. "Share to people who also want to be recognized."

"Huh?" I said as I was confused.

"Let's be friends, Hisayoshi-san. Let's make a lot of friends." She said.

Friends...a lot of friends, huh...
_______________________________

                   -End of Chapter 34-

                        [Author's Note]

Next chapter will be the epilogue of First Year. Until then, see you next time!

-IshFeitan