Chapter 48: Shine Like A Diamond

(Kohaku's POV)

Tenume and I started to be close friends when we were in junior high school.

"So, who was the one who wanted to become friends?" Natomi asked as he pointed at me and Tenume.

"I'll get to there," I said.

"It was four years ago when I was fourteen..."

                          [Four years ago]

I was sitting on a bench as I was listening to the birds chirping.

It was a good day today. The weather was nice and warm. The boys were playing ball as the girls were chatting with their friends.

I would usually be by myself whenever we have our fifteen-minute break after lunch.

I always liked to listen to birds singing. It was calm and peaceful. I would also listen to music with my headphones.

My parents were quite strict. Whenever I come home a little late, my father would ask me so many questions like "Who were you talking to? It better not be a boy."

In reality, I don't talk to too many people. It's them who come to me.

I always try to mind my own business, listening to music. However, there was this one time I could not mind my own business.

There was this girl that had purple hair with bangs that covered her forehead. She was sitting on the hallway floor. She was drawing.

I didn't mind what she did even if she was sitting on the floor. However, there were a few boys who bothered her.

"Hey plumhead, can't you see we're walking around here? Go somewhere else. Your drawing sucks anyways." The boy said.

The girl didn't say anything. She continued to draw.

"Can you hear me? Are you deaf?" The boy asked.

I went towards them and I placed my headphones around my neck. "You shouldn't bother her. Leave her alone." I said.

"Can't you see she's blocking our path? And who're you to say?" The boy asked.

"She's blocking your path?" I asked as I saw that the hallway had more space for people to walk. "It doesn't seem like it," I said. "It seems like your just bothering her for no reason."

"Tch." The boy said as he looked at me with annoyance.

It took a few minutes for them to leave the girl alone once a few people started a commotion.

"Are you alright?" I asked the girl.

The girl looked up to then show me her drawing. It was a very nice drawing. She drew a beautiful plum tree that was nicely shaded.

"Do you like it?" The girl asked.

"I love it," I said.

"Really?" The girl asked with a surprised look on her face.

I nodded my head. "You know, you're very talented. I can never draw like that." I said.

Tears then started to fall from her eyes.

"Huh! No no, please don't cry. I didn't mean to upset you or anything." I said as I thought I made her cry.

But I realized it wasn't tears of sadness. It was tears of joy.

"Here," I said as I handed her a handkerchief.

"Th-Thank you." She said as she blew her nose.

"It's just that...no one ever said they loved it."