/26/

~~*~~
Molly Pierce

Serpent's Den seems brighter than usual. The crowd seems larger, the music seems louder, and the atmosphere as a whole seems more pleasant.

I'm seated at one of the tables, still wearing the sweater my mother gave me. I tighten the sleeves of it into my fists when Niall returns to the table, carrying two drinks with him. The table is a four-seater, so he's to the right of me, giving us both the perfect view of the crowd.

As I take the drink from him, I scan back over towards the pool tables. Hot Shot's playing with some random guy that I've never seen before. The lighting over the surface itself is dim, casting a faint, flickering glow down onto his face as he leans forward. With the cue stick in his hand, he positions it, eyeing me for a silent second before he aggressively hits the cue ball on target, knocking one of his pool balls into a pocket.

He was silent the entire car ride over here, proving that he's upset with himself like Niall warned me.

"So..." Niall avoids eye contact, taking a swig of his drink before he stares down at his hands.

"So," I repeat, unsure of how to fill this awkward void.

"How have things been since I moved?" He tries to make conversation.

"Fine," I anxiously take a sip of my own drink, peering around at the crowds of people dancing to the live band.

"That's good," he dryly replies, drumming his fingers on the table a few times.

This is probably the most awkward I've ever felt. I'm not even trying to be dry or seem uninterested, it's just that every time I go to talk, it feels impossible. I've had a few conversations with him already, but never has he instigated them.

With a sign, I squint my eyes, "Actually, that's a complete lie. It's been horrible."

"Oh, well I could've gathered that. I've picked up on a few things over these past few weeks," he shrugs his shoulders.

You haven't picked up on everything, Niall.

"Yeah," I twirl the drink in my hands, "Kiara's really the only person I still tolerate, but I don't hate Aaron."

"Why not?"

"You know, he just goes along with what Landon says, so it'd be hypocritical of me to get mad at him for that," I sigh, shaking my head lightly.

"Got it," he nods along. "The three of them haven't changed since I was friends with them, even I know that."

"I really wish we didn't have to talk about it like it's a past thing," I admit, tapping my foot on the ground to ease my nerves. "'Cause we never really agreed to stop being friends... we just stopped talking."

"Because you acted like you hated me," he answers.

"But I didn't hate you," I express calmly. "Maybe I made you think that, but I promise I never have. I was going through a lot when you moved, so maybe that's why you got that idea. Even then, that doesn't mean that I should have made you feel like shit, though-"

"I know, I realize that you didn't mean it now," he assures me with a small nod. "And the only thing you directly did to me was avoid me, but other than that, it was just stuff that I heard from other people."

"Right, yes, I did ignore you, but I ignored everyone around that same time," I try to briefly answer. "Everything else is a lie other than that. Like, how people told you that I made fun of your family's debt or other stuff... they made that up to make me look bad. I know something like that isn't your fault for believing, but I swear I never said those things."