/71/

i advise you to go back and remind yourself who Ross is. I know he isn't a memorable character for a lot of people, but he's been in the story since the 6th chapter, and I've planned for him to have a pretty big part since the beginning.

all you really need to know is that he's a criminal- driven on money and revenge. he's a sloppy antagonist that is simply another major obstacle thrown in harry's way. harry strangled him with the necklace, and that was his main motive for revenge.

this chapter is short, but if you stick with me, it'll be worth it. please try and read carefully so that you can understand.

~~*~~
'Hot Shot'

After the art museum, everything went as planned. We went back to the dealership the next day, finished going through each room, and found as much as we could. We still may not know why all of those child deaths had to happen, or Eric's side of the story, but I think that I'm confident enough in the evidence that we have to finally go to the police.

It's risky. They could hear my name and immediately arrest me, or they could cooperate and look into other options. We don't know for sure. I'm worried, Molly's worried, but it has to happen. I can't keep sitting around, knowing what I know, and not try to get my family justice.

In my mind, all of this is going to work out. I'm going to stay optimistic.

We are going to wait, though, and instead go to the police until tomorrow. Today is Brooks' birthday, and we are on our way back to Kouver right now. We're going to make it to his party before we do anything else.

We said goodbye to Jess, checked out of the hotel, and took off. I drove Molly and I in my car, and Zayn on his motorcycle. Before we left, I tried to get Jess to come back with us, but she said she couldn't. She has a life now far beyond me, but she encouraged me to come visit again. Believe me, if I'm not sitting on some cold prison floor next week, then I'll gladly go back to visit her, but right now, that's not even a guaranteed option.

I check out my car window, noticing in the side-view mirror that Zayn is flagging me down. He's off his motorcycle, a couple hundred feet behind my vehicle, waving his hands and trying to get my attention.

We're just outside of Kouver and we've been driving for hours, so I'm not sure why he's stopped. I can quite literally see my house. The distance isn't that far.

"What's he doing?" Molly notices.

"Being a fucking idiot," I turn down the music, making a U-turn to see what his problem is.

I pull back up beside him. His motorcycle is laid down in the grass and his helmet is off, in his hands.

"Why'd you stop? We've got a party to get to," I rest my hand outside of the vehicle, keeping the window rolled down.

At this point, we're already half an hour late to Brooks' birthday party. It's the earliest we could get back in town, considering how long the drive is.

He looks down at his motorcycle, "The chain broke. Fell off about half a mile back, I've been gradually slowing down, I just now noticed."

"Damn," I purse my lips, trying not to fire a rude comment at him. Instead, my words come out a little too sarcastic, "That sucks."