/76/

moving forward here's what you need to know:
77 and 78 will be a double. 79 will be on its own, concluding the story. after that, there will be an epilogue and a bonus chapter.

~~*~~
'Hot Shot'

Ever since Molly and I kissed, her parents haven't stopped staring at me. I can't tell if they're angry or just shocked. All I know is that I'm fucking terrified.

"You look nervous," Molly holds the sides of my face, the tips of her fingers grazing the ends of my hair. There are tear stains under her eyes, but a tiny smile on her lips.

"Well, yeah," I try to ignore the heat burning on my face. I grit my teeth, talking through them, "Everyone is staring at me."

Even though my main focus has been Molly's parents, the entire room is also involved. Their stares are horrifying, and far much worse than the ones I received at the birthday party. It's really embarrassing. The room is silent, and not a single person has stopped looking at me in the last five minutes.

She lowers her voice to a whisper, "The recording. We shared it with everyone in the room. That's why they're staring."

My eyes widen with horror, "You did what?"

I can't tell if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Her thumbs gently massage my cheek, "It's okay. It settled a lot of people down, and caused at least twenty to leave."

"What?" I spill out in shock. "So what does that mean?"

"It means we cleared up a lot of the rumors," she clarifies, sliding her hands down to my shoulders. "Outside of the hospital, people still may have their own theories, but in here, you're mostly safe."

"Mostly?" I repeat, looking back out at the crowd. A lot of people still look unsure, confused, and angry. Maybe they're intimidated by me, and that's why I've yet to be attacked, or maybe they're trying to see how I decide to play this out.

"My parents," her grin gets wider. "You're not safe around them."

I can tell she's just trying to scare me.

Suddenly, I feel a hand press on my shoulder and I jump. I quickly flip around to see Niall by my side, "Where were you for the last hour?"

Joined next to him are Sakura and Zayn. I look at the group, then I admit, "With the police."

Sakura crosses her arms over her chest, "I'm guessing everything went well?"

I nod proudly, "Yeah. I'll probably end up being called back, but for now I'm good. Everything worked out fine."

I might actually have to start using my phone.

"Weren't you being chased?" Zayn squints his eyes in confusion. "How'd you end up there?"

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you."

They really wouldn't. I'd get laughed in my face if I ever told anyone that Landon Reeves helped me clear my name. I sound crazy.

Just as our conversation settles, two more figures walk over. Molly's parents. Her mother gently touches her arm to grab her attention, and once Molly turns, all of us do.

Her mother looks at me first, clears her throat, and then back at Molly, "Your father and I are going to go get the final news about Brooks. It's been an hour and nobody has come in to speak with us," she slowly starts to trail off, "Do you mind going home and grabbing a couple of things for him?"

"Yeah, sure. Like what?" Molly inquires.

Once again, her mother stares me down, only to look back at Molly tensely, "Um... any of his personal things. His gifts, maybe? Stuff to make him feel better."