Chapter 5

First year- Letters to Reggie

3rd September 1971

Remus Lupin

Sirius, Athena and James seemed to come from money, he could tell from the way they talked about their homes, as well as the way they spoke – every vowel and consonant clearly pronounced. Remus listened carefully and resolved to stop dropping his 'H's'. It was all very aristocratic. The twins didn't talk about money a lot, but it was obvious. The watch at their wrists, the clothes, the shoes, the jewelry, the way they wrote and walked. Remus didn't mind that, he did mind James, not because he talked about the money or because he thought himself better, but because he didn't know he was wealthy, because he thought every kid grew up with a quidditch pitch in their backyard and a pool next to it.

It wasn't just their accents, but what they said..James, Athena and Sirius spoke like characters in a novel; their language full of descriptive metaphor and scathing sarcasm. Their rapid fire wit was much more intimidating than a wand pointed at your face. The twins learned quickly that they way they talked was diferent and they made it a recurent joke, always saying stupid stuff like "Could somone please tell me the wherabouts of my fucking gloves!" or "Would you do me and society a favor by tripping over a knife please and thank you", they found it funny and honestly so did half of the Gryffindor tower. James on the other hand tried as hard as he could to only use his accent and vocabulary for insults or cocky comebacks.

He'd so far avoided the other boys by going for walks around the castle, he enjoyed knowing where he was at all times. Remus was determined to investigate every inch of the bizarre landscape. The book Thena landed him quickly became useful, not because of the words, the words stinck, but the images.

They'd been provided with maps to help them find their classrooms. It did not list, for example, a secret passageway he had found which led from the dungeons to the first floor girl's loos.It would also have been helpful, Remus reasoned, to animate the map in the same way the paintings were – then at least you could keep track of the ridiculous moving staircases. He was sure one of the rooms moved as well, it never seemed to be in quite the same place. He had so far found three secret passageways and feeling very proud of himself he started drawing on the map the place he found,he also marked where Peeves liked to spend his time. He would, however, not tell the other, he felt like they would laugh at the spare time he had in hand, and tell him that he needed friends or something like that, like how his father did when he took long walks.

Athena Black

After classes, she went to her dorm. Mary was talking to Sirius in the common room and James and Marlene were talking quidditch, she did not know where Evans was, the point being, she was alone. She sat down at her bed and drew the curtains closed and her favorite quill out. She wanted to write to Regulus. She thought of what to say or how exactly was the situation in the Black household at the moment. She played with the  swan father as the softness of it relaxed her. She finally began to write.

Dear Reggie,

I can only assume you've heard of Sirius and I. I truly cannot, for the life of me, explain how it could have occurred. Sirius said he already wrote but no response came in, I wish you aren't too mad at us. We certainly did not choose this. I heard from mother, well almost the entire castle has heard from her, but I still have gotten not a word from father. Is he feeling better?

Classes are boring, there is still nothing they taught me that I didn't already have knowledge of. I do like professor McGonnagall though.

I share a room with three girls, they make great company and Sirius with three boys. I've made friends with them and I already am fond of Remus and Potter, but Remus especially, he is quiet sometimes, but that doesn't really bother me. Sirius has forgotten mothers words and says he will continue to do so until Christmas break. I try to do the same.