Beyond His Betrayal [February 2022] Chapter 1

As the season changed, mornings and evenings became noticeably cooler. One such night, while I was on my way to Nobunaga's room after my bath, I ran into Hideyoshi.

Mai: "Hi Hideyoshi."

Hideyoshi: "Mai." He looks . . . off.  Hideyoshi's brows were knitted and he was watching me with a greatly concerned gaze. "Are you all right?"

Mai: "Why wouldn't I be?"

Hideyoshi: "Well, because of the rumor . . .  No, maybe it's better if you don't know."

Mai: "Oh, that . . ." I thinned my lips. I've heard people muttering about how there's been an unfamiliar scent clinging to Nobunaga. It's been a few weeks since that rumor began going around. It's no surprise it's reached Hideyoshi, I guess.

"I've heard it. If anything, it's been hard to avoid hearing about it."

Hideyoshi: "I'm . . . sorry to hear that. I hope you'll pay no mind to talk about Nobunaga having a favorite geisha or other baseless rumors." Awww, he's worried about me. How kind of him.

Mai: "Of course! I'd never believe any of that was true, but thanks for looking out for me, Hideyoshi."

Hideyoshi: "That's a relief." Hideyoshi squeezed my shoulder in reassurance before he left, but as I watched him go, I sighed.

I don't suspect Nobunaga is cheating on me, but that rumor does bother me a little. He's been coming back late a lot recently-- I don't even know if he's returned yet this evening.  Some uneasiness lingered in my mind as I started walking again, wondering what I might find at my destination.

------------
As I entered the tenshu, I was relieved to see a familiar black kimono. Oh, thank goodness. He's back already.

Nobunaga: "There you are, Mai." Nobunaga was at the balcony, looking out over the town below, but he turned once he noticed me.

Mai: "Welcome home. Are you all done with work already?"

Nobunaga: "Yes. I made certain to finish everything before you were due to retire for the night."

Mai: "Does that mean you're all mine for the rest of the night?" I felt a little lighter as I neared him but was distracted when he took my hand and pulled me closer.

Nobunaga: "I missed you, Mai." Oh . . .  As he pulled me to his chest, I picked up the hint of a sweet scent. It's that fragrance again . . .

It was sweet at first, but it was followed by a spicy note that tickled my senses. It smells nice, but it's definitely not a fragrance Nobunaga or I use . . .

Mai: "What did you get up to today?"

Nobunaga: "I had to handle some negotiations, that's all." I knew it . . .  Whenever he has that smell on him, he's been handling "negotiations." 

On top of that, Nobunaga never saw fit to take me along on these mysterious negotiations. With all the unknowns I was faced with, it was hard not to feel a bit suspicious of him. I don't believe the rumors, but that fragrance makes me uneasy. It can't be anything other than a woman's fragrance, but whose?

Every time I smelled the perfume, images of a beautiful merchant lady drifted before my mind's eye.

"Is something wrong?" Noticing my troubled expression, Nobunaga leaned in and peered at me in concern.

Mai: "I'd like to see what these trade negotiations of yours are like." I shocked even myself at how bluntly that came out, but I was growing too curious . . . and concerned. "Won't you let me join you?"