Shot Thru the Heart [August 2019]

Warm sunbeams poured down on me one afternoon in early summer. Nobunaga had taken me to a field of wildflowers outside of the castle walls.

Mai: "Nobunaga, are you sure you can skip work?"

Nobunaga: "Yes. If I don't spend time with you once in a while, you'll get lonely after all."

Mai: "Oh, come on. I'd be just fine."

Nobunaga: "Don't pretend. And don't worry. I just want you to smile and relax when you're with me." Nobunaga had forced me to come to Azuchi Castle originally, but to my surprise, he made sure to take good care of me.

And somewhere along the way, I had even gotten used to his demanding demeanor. Actually, I think I even like it now. How scary. But I've fallen for him, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.  I sat down, determined to enjoy this brief time we had together.

Mai: "The flowers are beautiful."

Nobunaga: "You have strange tastes. Wildflowers like these are so commonplace. If you like, I can get you much rarer flowers to enjoy."

Mai: "How?" The corner of Nobunaga's lips turned up in a smug smile.

Nobunaga: "Fresh flowers wouldn't survive the trip from Europe, but I could order seeds and plant them here. I'll set the ball in motion tomorrow."

Mai: "Whoa, hang on a second there!" How did this suddenly turn into an international trade deal?  "You don't need to do that for me. I like the flowers that bloom here in this field more anyway."

Nobunaga: "Why is that?" Nobunaga studied me dubiously. Oh, brother, he's usually so sharp too--

Mai: "Because you brought me here, Nobunaga. So from now on whenever I see these flowers, they'll remind me of this time I spent with you." Nobunaga didn't react right away. Maybe that was a bit forward of me, but-- That is how I truly feel.  As he watched the heat rise in my cheeks, Nobunaga's expression softened.

Nobunaga: "I see. That's just fine, then." He sat down on the ground next to me and began picking flowers. Is he making himself a bouquet?  "Why do you look so startled?"

Mai: "You never seemed the type to care about flowers, Nobunaga."

Nobunaga: "I don't. These are for your room."

Mai: "My room? Why?" Nobunaga looked up from his flowers, hitting me with a penetrating gaze.

Nobunaga: "You said you like these flowers. If I decorate your room with them, I'd be able to see that frivolous grin of yours whenever I wanted."

Mai: "That's not much of a reason."

Nobunaga: "Your smile is worth more to me than anything else." Seriously?  My eyes widened in surprise as he held out the bouquet of wildflowers to me. "I feel restless on days when I don't see your smile. That's why I've decided to keep you by my side forever. And in exchange, I'll make sure you always have something to be happy about."

That's a-- That's a serious thing to say!  His earnest eyes made my heart race. "You still look surprised. Do I need to explain it in simpler terms?"

Mai: "No, I--" Nobunaga pulled me closer by the shoulders and stared into my eyes at close-range.

Nobunaga: "I love you, Mai." Nobunaga!  The intense light in his eyes filled my heart with sweet longing. Oh, shoot. I'm so happy I don't know what to say.  He pulled my head against his chest gently. "Now, give me your heart."

Mai: "I can't do that."

Nobunaga: "What?"

Mai: "Because--it's already yours." I looked up at him with a coy smile and his eyes went wide. "I've loved you for a long time too, Nobunaga."

Nobunaga: "I see."

Mai: "That's all?" Nobunaga's bright smile captured my gaze and then--

"Mm--" His lips were on mine. I feel so hot.  The heat of his lips flowed through my whole body and my mind grew fuzzy. He slowly pulled away and stared at me silently.

My heart's beating so fast, it feels like it might burst.  "Thank you. For the flowers and your feelings. They make me very happy."

Nobunaga: "A tiny bouquet like that isn't enough to contain all my feelings for you. I'll pick even more flowers to fill your room from floor to ceiling with them."

Mai: "Uh, that's too much. This one bouquet is more than enough for me. Just bring me here again sometime." I want to create even more memories together with you.

Nobunaga: "Okay. It is a promise. Flowers wilt eventually, but my feelings for you will never fade." I feel the same. And I'm incredibly happy.  Surrounded by the sweet fragrance of the flowers, we enjoyed the warmth of the sun for the rest of the afternoon.