Nobunaga Oda Chapter 10

Mai: "I want you to live! Every moment you're alive means something good to me!"

Nobunaga: "Mai. You--" He looked at me with eyes so full of fiery passion they consumed the field around us. "We haven't had a game of Go, but I don't care." He didn't need to say anything. I knew what he wanted. It was what I had wanted for so long. He caught me in his arms, one hand supporting my back, one lifting my chin. "I'm taking these." His warm lips closed on mine. I fell back into his embrace as he hungrily claimed me.

. . . Wow.  My mind was an explosion of fireworks. All I could do was kiss him back. My tongue sought his, and once it had, refuse to let it go. My body was so hot it was burning. I took my breath from him, returning it in heated moans that disappeared into his mouth. Then we pulled away from each other, our ragged sighs filling the space between us.

Mai: "Nobunaga, that was amazing. But why now?"

Nobunaga: "It's been a long time coming. I've always wanted to do that." The only complaint I have is that I wish you'd told me that sooner.  "Right now, we have to finish with these enemies. But I'll tell you the reason tonight."

Mai: "I'll be waiting." With a bittersweet smile, Nobunaga traced the curve of my face with his finger. The passion that burned still in his eyes carried over to me, building a fire inside me. Nobunaga, if you only knew what my heart was doing right now--

Nobunaga: "Come. It's time to finish this." He gave me his hand to help me up. Right, the battle! We're still being hunted by the enemy.

Mai: "How are we going to finish this? Aren't things pretty dire right now?"

Nobunaga: "That will change when he arrives." Well, that was nice and vague.  Just then, the ground shuddered with the thundering of horses' hooves as a cloud of dust came our way. "There's Mitsuhide."

Mai: "Your mysterious 'he' is Mitsuhide?!" I looked at the approaching army, speechless with shock. Mitsuhide was at the head of a large force of men, their flag bearing the Oda crest. I totally can't believe I called it!

Hideyoshi: "Lord Nobunaga!"

Mitsunari: "What's the meaning of this?"

Mai: "Hideyoshi! Mitsunari! You're both safe!" Leading a contingent of survivors, they gathered at Nobunaga's side. Hideyoshi had Cheruit with him too.

Nobunaga: "Mitsuhide put a lot of work into this show. I'll let him handle the rest." Nobunaga grinned. The arrival of a large group of Oda reinforcements caused the enemy to break formation.

Enemy Soldier 1: "I thought Mitsuhide had come to our side? What is this?!"

Enemy Soldier 2: "Where did such a large force come from?"

Mitsuhide: "My betrayal must surprise you, but there's no need for a commotion. These guns will be doing that soon enough. Take aim!" At Mitsuhide's signal, his horseback mounted riflemen aimed their matchlocks at the enemy. "Fire."

The first row of men fired, followed by the second. The battlefield was a thunderstorm of sound. I knew guns had a big impact in this period. Now I can see why!  The enemy's ranks broke apart like tissue paper. The panicked men fled every which way--

In an instant, Nobunaga's forces took the initiative and drove off the rest of Uesugi's troops. I didn't think we could possibly turn that around, but we did.  I stood next to Nobunaga, relief spreading through me.

There were still questions to be answered though. Such as why Mitsuhide arrived when he had. And what was behind his supposed betrayal. I also need to pin Nobunaga down so we can talk about that kiss. But for now, we're alive.  Staring at the singed, trampled and bloody field, that though meant more than ever.