Prologue Chapter 2

Masamune: "We're here, Mai. Azuchi Castle, home of the Oda forces." The real Azuchi Castle! It was destroyed not long after Nobunaga's death.

Hideyoshi: "Don't show yourself to Lord Nobunaga with that expression. You look like a gaping frog."

Mai: "I do not. And I haven't agreed to see him."

Masamune: "So you're a morning person. I'll keep that in mind." Masamune's joking words spoken right into my ear reminded me-- He's still holding me!

Mai: "Anyway, we're here, so put me down already!"

Masamune: "Actually, I think not. I'm pretty happy with you right here."

Mai: "Well, I'm not!"

Hideyoshi: "Masamune, our Lord Nobunaga has taken an interest in her. Keep your hands off her."

Masamune: "Why does that matter? I like her too. Men don't thrive in the shadows of other men. In battle, or in love."

Mai: "Listen, you two--" Masamune's eye shone with the delight of a tiger hunting prey. I wondered what that prey must feel like, when--

Women: "Hideyoshi! Welcome back!" Hmm?  A series of excited calls drew me back to my surroundings.

Woman 1: "Over here, Hideyoshi!"

Woman 2: "Oh, Masamune, you're dashing as ever! Who's your friend?" A crowd of waving and cheering women had lined up at the gate to welcome the two men back.

Masamune: "How can you get this welcome every single time, Hideyoshi? Break a heart or two, will you?"

Hideyoshi: "What do you take me for?" With a shrug, Hideyoshi dismounted his horse and walked toward the crowd of women. "I've told you there's no need to come all the way to the gate for me. What about your work?"

Woman 1: "I finished early so I could see you when you came back."

Woman 2: "Hideyoshi, will you be staying long? I hope we'll have time to catch up."

Hideyoshi: "Don't let me keep you waiting. I'll send a letter as soon as things settle down."

Woman 2: "Of course! Take as long as you need!" Still on Masamune's horse, I watched Hideyoshi, astonished.

Mai: "So he's just a big sweetheart and NOT an ultra-stiff paranoiac?"

Masamune: "That's how he normally is. I guess you're just special."

Mai: "He's nice to everyone but me? That makes me feel the opposite of special."

Masamune: "It goes both ways. There aren't many women who don't fall for Hideyoshi at first sight." Masamune looked at me, curious. "So, who are you, really?" Me? I'm just a normal person. By my standards.  As Masamune got closer, I stiffened up. But just then--

Mitsunari: "Welcome back, Lord Hideyoshi, Lord Masamune."

Standing in the shadows next to Mitsunari was a petite young man, a tousle of fawn-colored hair on his head. Mitsunari must have returned with Nobunaga. Who is that man next to him? And, well, as for Nobunaga, I'm sure he's waiting in the castle keep.  Masamune, seeing Mitsunari and the young man up ahead, turned to me and smiled.

Masamune: "Even Ieyasu came out to say hi. That's rare."

Mai: "Ieyasu? Ieyasu Tokugawa is here... ?"