Fall in Love Again [October 2020] Chapter 2

After I'd talked to Ieyasu for a while, the door opened again. This time, Hideyoshi stepped out.

Hideyoshi: "Mai, Lord Nobunaga is asking for you."

Mai: "He is?"

Hideyoshi: "Yeah, he said there's something he needs to discuss with you."

Mai: "Okay. Thanks, Hideyoshi." After what he said, I'm not sure my heart can handle facing him again so soon. But the thought of things staying like this is a thousand times worse.  So I wiped my tears away and shot to my feet, hoping the vigorous motion would give me the courage I needed.

Hideyoshi: "You can take a minute if you need it, you know."

Mai: "Thanks, but I'm okay." I nodded gratefully at Hideyoshi and Ieyasu, then walked into Nobunaga's room once again. "You wanted to see me?"

Nobunaga: ". . . Yes. Come over here."

Mai: "All right." I walked over and sat down beside him. There was a moment of silence as Nobunaga simply stared at me. Finally, he spoke.

Nobunaga: ". . . It appears as though I have forgotten who you are."

Mai: "Um, yeah, I gathered that. You seemed pretty convinced that you had no idea who I was, though. What changed your mind?"

Nobunaga: "Hideyoshi. He said it was merely a possibility . . . but I know him to be an honest man and he looked perfectly serious as he told me about you." I'm impressed that Hideyoshi managed to convince him

"I have no reason to believe he would lie to me, but I have no memory of you. Therefore, the most logical conclusion is that my memories of you are currently missing."

Mai: "That's . . . a very rational way of looking at things." Nobunaga never ceases to amaze me. Even with amnesia, he's still calm and collected.  

His composure made it a bit easier for my mind to process the situation. "Actually, it's my fault that you got the fever that might have caused all this in the first place."

Nobunaga: "What do you mean?"

Mai: "During the battle the other day, one of the enemy's troops fired an arrow at me. You got hit because you were protecting me."

Nobunaga: ". . . Tell me more." I gave Nobunaga a brief summary of everything that had led to this point. When I was done, he nodded, looking intrigued. 

". . . In other words, you are the sort of woman I was willing to protect even at the cost of my life. Tell me, what is your name?"

Mai: "It's Mai."

Nobunaga: "Mai, hm? I hear you and I were lovers."

Mai: "Yes, we are. I mean . . . were."

Nobunaga: "Well, then . . ." Nobunaga trailed off before grabbing my arm and pulling me closer. "I order you, Mai . . . to remind me who you are."

Mai: ". . . Excuse me?"

Nobunaga: "I'm rather interested to see what kind of woman I fell in love with." He's having way too much fun with this!  

We were close enough that our noses were nearly touching, and my heart was already beginning to race. How am I supposed to remind him of what we had?  A glint of amusement shone in Nobunaga's previously cold eyes. 

Suddenly, I was reminded of when we first met. No, I have to believe that I can do this. After all, we were close once. We can build that connection again.