Nobunaga Oda Eternal Route Chapter 13

The injured Kennyo could barely stand, and Ranmaru struggled to shoulder his weight.

Nobunaga approached them slowly. Ranmaru betrayed Nobunaga and the Oda. ". . . You have to lance a festering wound."  That was Nobunaga's explanation when he killed Yorimasa and his followers.

. . . All right. Yes, I do sympathize with Ranmaru and Kennyo after all that happened. But-- I don't want Nobunaga to bear the weight of their lives. He's carrying so much already.  As long as they live -- as long as we all lived, there would always be a chance to move on.

This battle is already over. Let it end here.

Nobunaga: ". . . Go on. Both of you." Nobunaga . . .  They looked at him with blank expressions. Nobunaga continued. "Neither of you can possibly stand up to me now."

Kennyo: ". . . As if that stopped you before--!" Wounded or not, Kennyo had plenty of wrath left in him. "Why?! Why won't you kill me? What reason could you possibly have?" Nobunaga considered the answer -- searched his soul, perhaps. You do know why, though. 

Nobunaga: "It's because I don't have a reason to kill you."

Kennyo: ". . . What nonsense . . ."

Nobunaga: "Our fight has finished. Whether I put you down here or not won't change anything. It would be futile for you to rise up against me again. As for killing a man who wishes to die -- that's the poorest kind of compassion." It sounds harsh, but I know that's why Nobunaga's doing this.  

Nobunaga didn't kill without reason. Yes, he had taken thousands of lives, including those of Kennyo's brethren. But he would do everything in his power to make sure the result of that horrific cost was a better future.

However, Nobunaga wasn't in a good position to capture Ranmaru and Kennyo both, being injured himself. Which means he has to kill them or let them go. The fact that he's already rejected the first means a lot.  Nobunaga was putting trust in his enemies -- starting with his greatest one. I decided to put my trust in him.

Kennyo: ". . . You mock me?"

Nobunaga: "If that is how you take my words. They are the last I have for you." Nobunaga turned to Ranmaru. "Take him and go where you please, Ranmaru."

Ranmaru: "My lord . . . Master Kennyo, let's go." Supporting Kennyo carefully, Ranmaru stood up. He cast a last look at me. "Goodbye, Lady Mai."

Mai: "Goodbye." And take care. Both of you.  I couldn't say it aloud, but I hoped my unspoken thoughts reached them. Ranmaru turned to Nobunaga. Neither had any words for the other. But I thought they too had their unspoken thoughts. Then Ranmaru helped Kennyo away from Hongan-ji . . . 

It's over now.  I breathed a sigh of relief.

Nobunaga: ". . . Urgh!" 

. . . Until I heard a muffled groan of pain from Nobunaga.

Mai: "Nobunaga, your injuries!" I put my arms around him as he looked barely able to stand on his own. "Let's find some place for you to rest and dry off. Food and medical supplies would be great too." He brushed a hand over my head, a strained smile on his lips.

Nobunaga: "I agree."

------------
Ranmaru walked as fast as he could. Kennyo, losing his will, seemed to grow heavier with each step . . .

Ranmaru: ". . . Master Kennyo . . . it'll be all right. You just need to hold on a little while longer . . ."

Kennyo: "Ranmaru . . . you must--"