Nobunaga Oda POV The Spark of Love Premium Bonus: Her Soft Toes [Chapter 4]

Mai and I were visiting the hot springs as part of a larger plan. But the plan wasn't on my mind right now. She's not back yet?  I waited in front of the goban, toying with one of the black stones, cool against my fingers. My thoughts wandered to this afternoon when we'd almost rode off the cliff. She stared at the sky with such wonder. It reminded me of a child, taking her first real look at the world.

After all that screaming, Mai had calmly and earnestly absorbed my riding lessons. With my mind occupied by other matters, I had forgotten how entertaining I found her company. It was fun to teach her. I shouldn't have gone so long without seeing her.

It was then the door opened and Mai entered. She was fresh from her bath, skin gleaming.

Nobunaga: "You're back. Then let's begin. It's been too long since our last game."

Mai: "First, I need to know where you pulled a goban out of. I know you didn't pack it."

Nobunaga: "I had the innkeeper ready one." I wasn't going to miss the chance for another game with you.  "Now sit."

Mai: "Okay, okay." Mai gently lowered herself to the floor in front of the board. Our battle starts.

Wordlessly, I placed the black stone I'd been fingering on the corner of the board. Mai took a good look at my move before making her own. We went back and forth for a time. She's stopped playing defensively. Good. 

I was pleased she was challenging me this early in the game. Alert, I watched the board, anticipating each move. It's not like playing against a fellow master. Winning isn't difficult. Yet this is the most thrilling game I've played in some time.  Mai surprised me further, making a bold move into my territory.

Nobunaga: "Oh? You're taking a shrewd offensive now."

Mai: "Hmm? Oh, yes. Well, I haven't stopped practicing with Mitsunari, you know." Then it's Mitsunari who taught her to play this way? Fascinating.  My heart was dancing as I met her incursion head-on. Our private battle continued. I pushed Mai back, chipping away at her weaker groups. "Have you had a chance to use the hot springs? We can put the game aside if you haven't." The hot springs? Right, I'd forgotten where we were.

Nobunaga: "Why do you ask?"

Mai: "No reason. It's just that's what we came here for, isn't it? So you should have a nice, long bath."

Nobunaga: "Don't fret. I will visit the springs once our game is over." Was she attempting to distract me? She's using strategy beyond the board too. But it won't work. I'm having too much fun here with you.  I leaned over the board, seeking my next move. But my attention was stolen when I noticed Mai eyeing me.

Mai: "By the way, where did you say you were injured?"

Nobunaga: "What?" Oh, yes, the story I created for this trip.

Mai: "You looked pretty healthy to me, what with all the rock throwing and horseback riding today."

Nobunaga: "You'll find out soon." She's suspicious. I imagine she'll be angry when she learns the truth. But right now, it's not safe to tell her. I'll make sure none of my would-be-assailants harm her.  Wishing to avoid thoughts of tonight's plan, I turned the conversation back to our game. "It's been your turn for a while now. Make your move."

Mai: "Right." I don't hear them yet. We still have time. Once our expected guests arrive, I'll be a little busy. But until then, I intend to spend these moments solely with you.  Soon, my territory covered most of the board. Hanging her head, Mai admitted defeat.