Fall in Love Again [October 2020] Chapter 1

The clear blue sky stretched out as far as the eye could see that afternoon. The smell of gun smoke hung in the air, a strange contrast to the calm sky above. All right, this should be the last one.  

I let out a sight after I finish treating the wounded soldiers. I wonder how the battle is going? Everything seemed pretty quiet when I stepped outside earlier.  

------
A few weeks earlier, we had received word that a small territory under the Oda clan's banner had started to revolt. Nobunaga and his forces had immediately set out from Azuchi.

------
I volunteered to come along and help treat the wounded, but . . .  The battle had raged for several days now. And I hadn't seen Nobunaga even once since it began. I hope he's okay. I wish I could see him, even just for a moment.  

Soldier: " Take heart, Lady Mai."

Mai: "Huh?"

Soldier: "You look rather discouraged, so I assumed you must be worrying about Lord Nobunaga. I'm sure he's safe. We always had an overwhelming advantage during battle."

Mai: "Really? So the battle seemed to be going in our favor?" The soldier smiled, clearly trying to reassure me. That's good news, at least.  Relief washed over me, and then--

Nobunaga: "Mai? Are you in here?"

Mai: "Nobunaga!" Nobunaga walked into the tent. I was so relieved and excited to see him that I practically leaped into his arms.

Nobunaga: "I see you're doing well. Pack your things. We depart tomorrow."

Mai: "We're leaving? Does that mean . . ."

Nobunaga: "Yes, victory is ours. Naturally." Nobunaga suddenly smiled, then gently reached out to caress my cheek. "I've heard talk of your actions during this battle. You performed your role admirably. I shall give you the attention you deserve once we return to Azuchi."

Mai: "That sounds nice." It feels like forever since we spent some quality time together. I'm really looking forward to it.   The battle was finally over, and a smile made its way to my face as the tension began to melt from my shoulders. But then--

Soldier's Voice: "Y-You're-- Guh!" I heard a soldier scream outside. My attention immediately snapped to the entrance, my body suddenly on high alert once more. In the blink of an eye, men who appeared to be enemy soldiers rushed into the tent.

Enemy Soldier: "We'll keep fighting until death takes us!"

Nobunaga: "Mai!" Just as he called my name, he pulled me into his arms. I caught a glint of light out of the corner of my eye. Look out!  Before I could get the words out of my mouth I heard the sound of something flying through the air.

------------
Mai: "I'm going to wrap it a little tighter, okay?"

Nobunaga: "All right." I wrapped a strip of a towel around Nobunaga's arm. After the initial commotion, the enemy soldier was almost immediately captured by the Oda troops. However, Nobunaga was shot in the arm with an arrow while he was protecting me. 

I bet he could've dodged it if he had been alone. It's my fault he got hurt. If he hadn't been there, that arrow would've hit me instead.  ". . . Why do you look as though you're on the verge of tears? This is only a graze, nothing more."

Mai: "I know, but still . . ." This never would've happened if I'd been able to get myself out of that situation.  Guilt pricked at my heart like needles. "I won't let you go through something like this ever again. I'll get stronger. I'll learn to protect myself better."