quatorze.

Durk paced around the waiting room of the hospital

5 hours.
300 minutes.
18000 seconds.

That's how long they sat without an update on his fiancé. The love of his life. The only person that could turn his bad days into better.

flashback

18 year old Durk was on a come up in South Memphis. Shit was going good for him after moving into the projects 9 years ago.

He, Money and Brickz was moving up from corner boys to being Big Bros. He knew he made it when niggas began envying him.

Durk sat in his fourth period class, He vividly remembered the day and month he met the love of his life.

Derrick hated having to attend school, he didn't want to be anything more than a kingpin. The kids in his neighborhood never dreamed big.

Durk was the last one of his crew in school. Both of his friends had dropped out and devoted their life to the street but Derrick's mother didn't play that and he was making enough to move out, but he wasn't touching enough to live comfortably. So, Money and Brickz held shit down for him while he was gone. Splitting their profit with him.

DeMario, Xavier and Derrick people were all struggling in the hood. DeMario and Xavier made sure Durk got a piece of the pie regardless if he was around or not. That's how solid they were.

Derrick eyed the new girl from across the class. This was his routine for the past three days since she moved from Chicago and transferred into his High School. He stayed away from bitches in his school, they were shiesty and all looking for a come up.

This girl was different her big eyes and lips caught his attention. She had hair that went to the middle of her back. The three days she attended school she did nothing less than put that shit on. She was spoiled and Durk wanted to spoil her more one day.

Turning her head finally annoyed, she mugged Durk with an eye roll that was ever so vicious.

"You just finna keep staring at me? Take a picture it'll last longer" She spoke, attitude laced in her voice. However, she didn't know Durk didn't give a fuck about anything. His nonchalant attitude always irritated those around him.

"Yeah." He spoke in a bored tone. India rolled her eyes once again, trying to hide the smile she turned around to face the English teacher.

Every so often she'd turn to look at Durk, hoping he never caught her. He did, because he was staring back at her.

Durk knew from that moment he wanted the girl in his 4th period with the bad attitude.

The stares was something India was never used to and she even got into fights with a couple bitches, due to nothing more than disrespect. Many girls wanted Durk—they knew that him, Brickz and Money were on the come up. They were going to be the ones who ran South Memphis and all of the hood knew it.