14

I head out of the underground via our access road and turn left, out of the city to hit the cliff roads to let this baby roar. We live on the outskirts and are fortunate enough to be a short drive from one of the most scenic and windy roads that head into a beautiful part of our country and eventually stop at the sea. The river which runs past our home starts as a tiny trickle and somehow manages to size up and merge seamlessly to the vast world out there, and it has always fascinated me. That something so small can start that way and yet become a formidable force to take on the vastness of nature.

The car feels heavy to steer, and I scrunch my face up at its lack of sensitive response, wondering what the hell he's been doing to this. It's sluggish and not exactly what you expect from a multimillion-dollar car that happens to be a limited edition. I can't remember thinking it felt this awful to drive when I tried it out before, and I check the gauges for any warning lights and see none. In fact, nothing is lit up at all, not even the dials. He must have a fuse out, and he's neglected it to this point.

Idiot.

I guess seeing his mistress was a priority over maintaining his pride and joy or his marriage.

I put my foot to the pedal and head for freedom, hoping if I clear its engine with some good revs, it'll get better. The steering might just need a fluid top-up, not that I care, as I have no intention of letting this car live after tonight. I gave it, and I can take it away. Let him see how that feels.

I'm glad the roads are quiet as darkness falls, and I'll have an uninterrupted route to do whatever my heart wants with this piece of trash. Race the shit out of it, leave it with a few dents and scratches or completely destroy it in inventive ways. He treats this like fragile glass and drives it like an OAP, so I'm going to do everything I know that would make him cry. Rough her up, show her what a good ride feels like, and then depending on how I'm feeling, I'll see where she ends up. In the bottom of a canyon, if I get to that point, I'll make sure to film it and send it his way.

I hit the radio to blare music, frowning as the rock station he favors bursts into life and immediately press it to another frequency. Hating even the sound of anything that makes me think of Jyeon and twist in my seat until I land on a pop station playing a BTS song and leave it alone. It's a happy, upbeat collab with a band I like, Coldplay, and somehow despite my dark mood, it helps me relax into my leather molded seat to focus on driving.

The air around me fills with lyrics like 'You are my universe,' and I snort at the irony of playing a song like this while sitting in the only thing it would apply to when it comes to Jyeon. If he had to choose between me or this piece of expensive scrap, he would take his car and watch me burn. I can't deny that anymore, and I should stop telling myself otherwise. It's time I faced the reality that my life sucks.

I tap my fingers on the wheel as my speed edges up, and I get to the start of the uphill climb of peak point. One of the longest roads to a stunning tourist viewpoint on top of one of our mini-mountains. It's a nature reserve that climbs high and overlooks the sea, and suddenly I have an urge to do that. To watch the ocean roar and bring me some inner peace to calm the chaos of my mind while my life is such a fucking mess. I always liked the ocean; it's the one place I can stare at, and it stills my mind completely. I haven't been here in so long though.

I press a button and roll down both car windows to let the air in to mess with my hair and cool my hot fury. Not caring if it's cold, the temperature must be bordering on winter levels tonight. I don't care if it makes me sick later; it feels good to breathe real clean air as it rushes by and slaps my hair around the headrest in an untamed fashion.

My focus strays from the road as something slides in the black seat next to me, and I flick a glance its way. Seeing it for the first time, the leather jacket that bitch bought for him and my heart leaps up into my throat. A slicing stab at reminding me that no matter how good this feels, I'm not outrunning the pains in my heart. Right there, nestled so preciously as his passenger, he takes it everywhere, a symbol of their love, and it brings bile up from my stomach.