16

"She's lucky to be alive, and it's a miracle given the state she was in. A few days here, and she can get out, but I want to observe her first. She has hypothermia, and the symptoms overlap with a concussion, so I can't tell how bad the knock on her skull is. Her head wound seems minor, but I'm not out ruling it. She has a warm saline drip and oxygen for now, but I think she's out of the woods. It was a long night." A man's voice reaches me in my sleep state, aware I'm somewhere soft and warm, but I have no memory of how I got here. The last thing I remember is the girl who pulled me off the road.

"I thought she was a goner, doc. You didn't see her when I pulled up." My angel's voice that I would recognize anywhere, bringing me around. I owe her my life. "I don't know what the hell happened to her out there."

"I don't think she would have lasted any longer out there. She's been in and out of consciousness but not much talking yet. If she gets worse, I'll transfer her to the mainland as we're not equipped to deal with major issues here, but I'm crossing my fingers that she will be okay. You did good and found her in time, Greta."

"Thank you. I'll let you get back to it and go sit with her."

I shift in my bed, aware of my own body, and although I'm still groggy and tired, I manage to open my eyes and stare at the white ceiling above me without excruciating head pain. Their words ring around my head, and I exhale heavily, trying to clear my throat, but it's like I'm swallowing razor blades.

"You're awake." Her cheery voice pulls my eyes to her, standing in the doorway and beaming at me with the friendliest of smiles. In the new light of day, she's much prettier than I remember. Around my height, about five foot five, slim but athletic, and has mousy brown chin-length hair in a soft bob that frames her face with feathery bangs. She has the bluest of eyes, like a tropical sea, and dimples when she smiles. She's dressed in jeans and a flannel shirt that gives her a shapeless figure, and yet there's something adorable about her. She has a youthful energy.

"I brought fruit." She waves a little basket around and then lays it on a table by the door before coming to my bedside. She seems more feminine now than she did last night, and looking at her; I have no idea how she carried my bodyweight to that truck. I'm beyond grateful to her. She doesn't look like she could drag me, let alone carry me, and I find myself sizing her up and wondering what the hell she eats.

I strain to sit up, spotting the tubes in my arms and try not to flex them too much, struggling, and she moves fast to assist me.

"Here, let me, you're still poorly, baby gurl" She levers me up and plumps and arranges my cushions behind me, so they help me sit a little and chin gestures to the water jug beside me.

"You need some?" She asks helpfully, and I nod, my mouth is so dry it feels like I've been licking chalkboards, and it might soothe my throat. I don't know why that's so bad unless it's because of swallowing saltwater and throwing up a lot. I make to talk, but it's painful, and all I can do is smile weakly when she helps me sip a few mouthfuls from a paper cup.

"So, mystery lady, doc says you should be just fine after some rest. He said that there's nothing major, but you resemble a human pin cushion. What, were you rolling around in smashed glass? Luckily none of them are too deep and won't scar." She smiles a sunny expression that lights up her whole face as she puts the cup back and crosses her hands on the rail of my bed.

"I crashed..." I force it out and cough immediately with the effort. Wanting to be polite as she's my first guest and my savior, but I'm not too great yet.

"Where? There was not a single car in sight? Did you walk to that road? I never passed anything. Suppose you tell me where I can find out and get it towed. We need to make a police report."