61

"Don't look so nervous." Jyeon nudges his arm against mine as we walk hand in hand across the foyer of the ground floor of OLO to head for the elevators. I'm aware of eyes cats our way from passing employees even though this isn't my first time here.

"Everyone is staring," I reply in a hushed rush, tilting my chin to avoid the eyes of curious employees. Overly aware of being a spectacle.

"Yeah, they are. Do you blame them? You were once a formidable and terrifying ice queen who went AWOL for two years – presumed dead and then reappeared cuddling up with your husband in floaty dresses and soft hair. You're a point of interest." Jyeon smiles down at me before hooking me under the chin with his pointer finger and gently lifting it. "Stand tall, Beautiful. You're the VP." He winks and tightens his fingers in mine to give me courage. His warm, strong hand, helping to ground me while my nerves chew me insides out.

I lift my chin higher, inhaling heavily to pull myself together and remind myself that I've been here and done this before, and the only difference is we are going to my office to open it up. It's nothing terrifying...no public talk, no show, no pressure. This is all in my head like he said it was, and there's nothing to fear in an empty room full of expensive furniture and dead air.

Jyeon said that only he and a single cleaner had been the ones to access it in my absence, as he didn't like people touching my things, and it hasn't changed one bit since I left. I think it's making me apprehensive to know it's another vault of frozen time. A blast from the past much like my old bedroom was in the house, and I know it will stir up strange emotions like walking back into where I left off.

The Sohla I left behind practically lived in her office, and therein lies so many memories of good and bad. My ties to OLO, my parents, Jyeon, and even Yoonah. All circle around my position in that room where I locked myself every day. The space in which I created an isolated and cold version to keep everyone out and the problems at bay. The room where I spent my days ignoring all my pain and woes and pretending I had control of my life.

"Good Morning President Park, Vice president Park" A soft voice pulls me out of my thoughts, where I realize I was daydreaming and that we're already awaiting an elevator to open, where a young staff member is standing idly by. Eyeing us up subtly so as not to be caught staring, she smiles as she latches her focus onto Jyeon holding my hand. The rumor is running rife about how in love we are, and the romance is the fuel for good office gossip.

"Good Morning, Veronica." Jyeon nods her way, and I give her a nervous smile. Knowing I am being weird and frosty, but I'm so anxious I feel sick, so socializing isn't high on the priority list.

The girl nods, steps back, and gestures to the steel box as the door slides open, and Jyeon leads me inside, waving her way with thanks as it shuts quickly again. Locking her on the outside, I visibly sag with relief at being away from the piercing stares of strangers where I can breathe again.

"That wasn't so bad. You used to put the fear of God into everyone.... why so feeble?" He nudges me again, in a great mood today because he managed to get me here after a rocky start to our morning where I'd completely changed my mind about coming. I wanted to stay and hide in my safety bubble, but even Greta was harsh with me and told me to grow a set of balls. I can't bury my head f I want to move on, and this seems like an important step.

"Now, I wish they would all let me get on with it without drawing attention to me." I sulk, hating the feeling like I'm in a fishbowl and the whole building is interested in my every movement. It's too early in the day for this. "We don't pay them to stand around gawping."

"You really haven't changed all that much, you know? You just think you have." Jyeon grins at my attitude and nods towards the wall to our left. I turn and follow his gaze to see what he's pointing at, catching sight of the staff profiles on the wall that tell visitors what our high-up directors and presidents look like, and there's my face coldly looking back, beside Jyeons friendlier half-smile.