59

Almost as if on cue, Jyeon glances back this way subtly, checking to see where I am, and catches both of us staring his way openly as his new friend leans down to his table and continues trying to chat him up. He seems surprised that we are watching him and gives me a slightly nervous hint of a smile. Visibly straightening and becoming awkward under our scrutiny.

Greta raises a brow and waves with a stern expression as if to tell him to deal with her, and I stay blank-faced and still and give him zero signals. My gut churning and heart hammering that I know he isn't interested in anyone but me. I have to learn to accept it and grow faith in him again.

Everything was different back then, and I understand how we ended up and why he started an affair. Our relationship wasn't like it is now. I know Jyeon wouldn't risk screwing everything up like that now that we're here. He's putting his entire life on hold to chase me and give me what I need while I figure out where our future goes. He's letting me lead the way and proving over and over that this is real and he loves me. I can trust him.

Jyeon says something to his admirer before sliding out of his seat and stepping by her. Seemingly saying something else, her face drops to an ashen expression, and she frowns at him, looking like he dashed whatever hope she had brewing. He turns our way with a hand gesture, and I flinch and quickly busy myself with organizing, dropping my eyes back to the counter before she looks this way. Greta doesn't budge an inch and continues her crazed stare even when I catch them both looking this way out of the corner of my eye.

Jyeon Moves towards us, leaving the woman behind, and closes the gap between his table and where we are, making me feel guilty for spying. Walking confidently without a backward glance and my skin prickles with the sensation of his eyes on me.

"Baby? Want to go a walk with me for some air? I need a break." He says it loud enough for half the shack to hear. I flutter my lashes up his way innocently, pretending I wasn't scoping out his admirer all this time, and smile brightly. On the other hand, Greta grabs me by the waist and physically shoves me past her towards the open hatch on the end of the worktop. Being hostile in making it clear I get no say or choice.

"Don't hurry back. We have things covered here." She beams at me, and I trip as I make my way out to my waiting husband. He's looking sexy in a light-colored shirt and dark pants, combining office and casual, and I falter and straighten myself back to rights.

"Ummm, okay. Yes. Sure." I stutter, making my way out on autopilot, and Jyeon comes to meet me and scoops my hand up in his. Enveloping my fingers in his. He leans in and kisses me on the temple before smoothing back my hair behind my ear and tugging me close to slide my arm under his and make it clear we're very together. I think this is his way of announcing to onlookers that he's my man and he's not interested.

I catch sight of the woman over his shoulder, stalking back to her table and glancing this way. Seemingly embarrassed that she was trying to hit on the husband of one of the shack owners and she sidles out of sight fast while blushing. It makes me feel guilty and a little better, and I let go of that inner tension she was causing me.

"You look beautiful today." He quietly says it close to my ear and turns to lead us out. Making a show of being intimate and affectionate with me, and I know it's not just to send a message to the woman. It's to soothe my ruffled feathers for catching him being chatted up and enforce the fact I have nothing to worry about. I know how his mind works at times.

We get outside quickly, and he guides me down the steps and left towards the footpath for the hill climb to the viewpoint I like to use as a thinking spot. It's become a place we sometimes go on lovely summer evenings to walk off large dinners or spend some alone time away from the hustle and bustle of the village. I can sense him being extremely attentive to my mood, and I shyly glance up at him as we walk and catch his eyes on me. A strangeness in the atmosphere today that I didn't notice this morning.