65

"You look beautiful. Jyeon is the luckiest man alive." Mother takes my hand at the car door and helps me slide out, adjusting my simple cream lace dress that reaches the ground and fluffing my hair before handing me my bouquet back. It's fitted down to my thighs and then flairs out enough for a bit of drama in a mermaid tail shape, and today my hair is curled and swept to one side. I feel glamorous and pretty, eager to get moving and see Jyeon.

Jyeon wanted to do this right and slept at the hotel last night with Bryant, leaving the boat for me, mother, and Greta to have ourselves a girly bonding sleepover. It was only one night, and yet I missed him like crazy. I haven't seen him since he kissed me goodbye after supper and told me today was the start of the rest of our lives. It was a long night, and I swear it's been days instead of hours.

I'm nervous even though it seems so stupid to be, given I have known him forever, and this is only a redo of something we have already done in front of thousands of guests. Maybe because this time it's sincere, and I know Jyeon wants this as much as I do, and our path from now on will contrast the past hugely.

"She is. Jyeon better appreciate exactly what he's got in my Sohla, girl. Or else I'll crucify him." Greta sorts my skirt as I stand, let her fuss, and preen me, even though mother just did, before following her up the now much tidier grass walkway to the summit. They pruned all this and lined the walkway with solar fairy lights and pretty butterfly decorations. It's gorgeous and whimsical and must have taken Jyeon, Bryant, and Yoonah all morning.

We walk on in silence, with the odd stop to adjust me as we climb, and I am so glad we picked a cool day where the sun isn't beating down on us even at high noon. There's barely a breeze, and it's warm enough for my cap sleeves without breaking a sweat during our five-minute stroll.

"When are you doing this?" I nudge Greta from behind and get a glance back and eyeroll.

"Bryant has a long trial to get through before doing anything like that. I'm just taking one step at a time and enjoying what we have going on. If it leads to this, then so be it. I have no plans." She shrugs, committing to nothing, yet it breaks a smile on my face.

"Bryant is a good boy; you could have a good life. You know he's the youngest of a very wealthy family, and his inheritance is enough to never worry for a few generations yet." Mother chimes in, still influenced by what our society in the city deems a person's most important trait. To be born rich. I can't be mad at her for what's been ingrained.

"Greta will get rich of her own accord and would never dream of depending on Bryant's money. She has ambition." I point out.

"Yeah, I am the CEO of a building franchise, and I might be worth more than him one day. I intend to be the Queen of my own empire so that I can rub shoulders with Sohla here." She winks back at me, beaming a smile, and then quickens the pace to get us up there faster. I know she hates being interrogated about her love life.

"Jyeon will make you happy this time, Sohlly. I know he never in the past, and as a family, we made many mistakes. I am learning to grow as a person at my age, so I am sure my son is capable of it too. You have nothing to fear." Mother pats me on the shoulder, uttering loving words to calm my apparent nerves while following close behind, warming me.

We spent last night talking until late. Greta had fallen asleep, and we sat side by side in the double bed and talked about everything and nothing. Something we never did, ever. I feel like I got to know her on a level I was always denied because she wore this mask of cold and strong that was not who she really was. Keeping up a persona as I did for years, and it's weird to know we were so similar. Mother showing her vulnerability has been the most significant change, and realizing she loved and needed her children brought a kindness that I adore in her.