54

"So, did you enjoy your vacation?" Tom seems oblivious to the impending newcomer glaring his way and my obvious discomfort and need to escape. My heart is doing the rhumba because Jyeon looks exactly like a guy who will not be polite and idly walk by.

"It wasn't really that kind of vacation.... I need to get the shack opened and changed. It's nice to see you again, have a good day." I make to hightail it away from him, aware Jyeon is less than ten feet from us and rapidly closing, when Tom catches him out of the corner of his eye, and his entire expression stiffens. He inclines his head, recognition spreading across his face, and adopts a similar unfriendly frown to my idiot man.

"We meet again." Jyeon slides up with a cocky smirk, catching me mid escape by the upper arm, and tugs me into his side so he can lasso an arm around my shoulders. It's such an obvious move to show off who's woman I am. He leans into me and casually cocks his head to the side, sizing up his opponent, and I can almost taste the testosterone multiplying between them. The static sizzle of aggression growing.

Tom tries hard to hide the snarling response and pastes on a strained and cheery face. Hiding his dislike and he attempts at cool and calm.

"Right,... the guy from a month back. The supposed friend who was causing problems in the shack?" Tom raises a brow, oozing sarcasm and his whole body seems to grow larger with his posturing. I always knew him as the gentle and kind fisher guy, and I don't think I ever saw him behave like this. Jyeon isn't phased in the slightest, given he's easily the same height and build and packs just as much muscle.

"Husband, actually! As in current... rekindled marriage." It's a declaration, and he thrusts his hand out, making a show of staking his claim. It has me inwardly cursing him and eye-rolling at the macho pissing contest. Not in the slightest bit impressed with this. "Jyeon Park, and you are?" Jyeon holds his hand out stiffly, his own body coiled and ready to rumble, and I hate the tension between them. Hostility is oozing by the second, and it fouls my already fragile mood.

I cast an eye on Jyeon's side profile, riling some dormant inner demon in my belly and being more than a little irritated at this.

"I'm a friend of Anna's. A good friend, a great...friend. Tom! I live here, where she's been happy the last two years."

Tom's holding no punches either, and I suddenly urge to knee him in the groin. Who gave him the right to behave this way?

"It's Sohla, actually. And had she not been suffering from amnesia and loss of identity, she would have been back with me long ago. To her rightful life where I would have made her happier than being here without me."

I narrow my eyes on him and then Tom and back again. I cannot believe what I am witnessing and wonder how two adult men can become so immature just from meeting one another again.

I have no idea why this is so hostile between them or why it's so juvenile, but I can't bear to listen to this. Men are pathetic at times. All this testosterone-induced possessiveness is not amusing. It makes me angry as hell, and I squirm to get unlatched from Jyeon while throwing both of them hostile glares.

"Sohla? Is that..." Tom's furrowed brow of confusion gives me a moment to cut in. Seeing an opportunity to bring attention back to me and I might break this up.

"Yes, Sohla Park. I forgot my own name and identity. Crazy, huh? .... Silly me. Anyway, we have to go... Enjoy your day. I have to get busy." It's a brisk and very me of old, snappy way of saying go away, and I shove off Jyeon's arm so I can tug at him instead. Grabbing his wrist and hauling him in the uphill direction towards the shack. Venting my inner fury at their behavior with a show of aggression, but he's much stronger, and it takes everything I have to get him to follow me.