41

"Answer it." Greta picks up my phone and holds it out to me, but I hesitate and stare at the flashing screen instead. Leaving it between us as we both sit tensely on the bed, now facing one another. Her eyes dart from it to me, and she sighs heavily. "Take it."

"It's late. As far as he knows, I'm asleep." I push it away from me but flinch when she grabs my wrist and forces it into my hand, swiping the answer button as she does so. Strangely strong for such a tiny wench.

"Yeah, well, now he knows we're not." She winks, sliding away, and motions for me to lift it before jumping out of bed and heading to the door. She switches the overhead light and blinds me with the sudden assault. "Hi, Jyeon........ Don't keep her up too late. She's a monster when she's tired," she yells loudly, making sure he would have heard her, before sauntering off with a wiggle and a mischievous wave and leaving me alone with my phone. I stare at the lit screen and his name and cave because she's given me no choice. Mad at her for choosing now to turn to his side and seething with curse words at her shitty maneuver.

"Hello." I put it to my ear and get up too, putting zero effort into my greeting and hoping he thinks I'm sleepy. My body is restless and finding renewed listless energy to zap me back to antsy behaviors. I walk to the window, pulling the drapes aside to stare out into the darkness once more in an effort to find tranquillity.

"I guess I didn't wake you? Can I come up? I'm in the lobby downstairs." Jyeon sounds tired, his voice gravelly, and his question startles me. My eyes swept down on autopilot to the scan park below and spot a very familiar dark SUV that took us to the amusement park earlier. I can see the driver sitting alone inside, and it's the same employee from earlier. My stomach flips over, and my blood runs cold with the realization he's right downstairs.

"Umm. Why? I mean, shouldn't you go home and sleep? Aren't you tired.... it was probably stressful?" I start blabbering nonsense, losing my cool for a second. My insides are hitching in butterflies at my panic at seeing him when my brain is this way. He has no idea how much I want to curl up and hide from the world and him tonight.

"I can tell you that when you open the door. I'm coming up. I want to see you." Jyeon hangs up before I can refuse, and I curse at Greta under my breath for putting me in this situation. I know she'll let him in, too, so there's no point dodging this or ignoring the bell. I have no choice but to do this tonight.

I yank open my wardrobe in speed mode and pull out a robe to slide on over my silk nightdress, fix my hair quickly and check my face for any smudges from removing my makeup earlier. He's getting barefaced and natural, and I am not putting effort into this. I tell myself to be strong, put him back at arm's length, and not soften or show warmth for anything. I have no intention of being as stupid as I was earlier, now I am a hundred percent sober and it's time we put an end to this stupid scenario once and for all.

The door goes with a gentle tap, tap, tap so as not to wake my neighbors, and I hesitate. My heart is racing and chest heaving with the shallowness of my breathing, and I march out before Greta does. Trembling all over and flicking my hands out to still their shakes.

"It's Jyeon," I yell as her bedroom door starts to swing and it closes again swiftly. A slight thud and then a giggle from the other side.

"Call me if you need me. I won't come out otherwise." Greta has a cheerful tone to her voice, and I squint at the closed door and wonder if she is still intoxicated. I don't get why she is so pro Jyeon tonight, practically throwing me at him and wondering if it has anything to do with being chased around by Bryant all evening. Maybe that sly dog has whispered in her ear and pulled her to the dark side with his hoe skills. I should have known that playboy still had abilities even when playing nice. Greta isn't easy to break, but Bryant seems to have the magic touch.