Tryouts

Saturday came around quite fast. Standing in the quidditch field in an oversized jersey that Daphne helped fix to my size, and black leggings I await for tryouts to start. Draco stands next to me with his arm over my shoulder as he and Maven have a rather loud discussion about Bulgaria. I knew Maven was doing it purely to annoy me and Draco just loved the team so obviously, he wouldn't object to the conversation. I wanted tryouts to start already and as if he read my mind that's exactly what Marcus did. "Alright, first I want you all to do laps until I tell you to stop, then we'll break off into groups to do specific tryouts for the positions you want," Marcus states loudly. "Mount up!" I practically jump on my broom taking off as fast as I could and zooming around the pitch. Maven easily catches up to me until we're flying neck and neck. We were both easily faster than everyone who tried out so naturally, we were both at the front. Every time I would push faster to gain an inch on him he would push forwards till he caught up and vice versa until you just see both of us just flying full speed side by side. From below I can hear Marcus yelling at the people who were going rather slow to leave. By the time he tells us to land almost half of the starting group had been sent away. Marcus then divided us up where the current team beater took all the Slytherins trying out for said position and testing them individually. Graham did the same with seekers while Marcus takes all the chasers. In the beginning, we just throw the Quaffle around while flying full speed. I had a bit of an advantage as I was quite used to Marcuse's throwing speed and strength. Marcus sent home anyone who dropped the quaffle or fumbled with it. After a good five people were dismissed we moved on to doing formations. They start off quite simple then transition into more complex ones. Anyone who couldn't keep up or remember what they need to be doing was dismissed after getting yelled at. The tryouts actually got interesting when Marcus called all the beaters over and instructed them to rain down bludgers and disrupt our formations. Maven specifically targeted me throughout the exercise but he didn't catch me once. Although anytime he aimed at anyone else he was able to hit them with no problem. The formations started out basic and then gradually got more complex as we had to weave through bludgers to get to the other side of the pitch. Anyone who got hit multiple times or struggled to stay in formation was sent back to the castle. After testing basic flying skills Marcus moved on to aim and precision. We were all told to hover in front of the hoop and try to score on our keeper, Pucey. We each got three balls to get in. Two people went before me and got only one in. During my turn, I did two trick shots that both went in and then faked Pucey and got my third one in as well. There were only two people after me and one was so bad he got none in. The other guy who looked to be in his 6th year got two of his three in. Marcus sent anyone who got below two back to the castle, leaving just me and the sixth year. The next drill we were put through was a fake game where we had to get the quaffle past Marcus and Graham. The sixth-year went first making it across, barley, but stopping too long in front of the hoop resulting in the quaffle getting stolen. On my turn, I fly full speed straight with the ball tucked under my shooting arm as I barrel roll to avoid Graham and do a shallow dive to miss Marcus. Not even stoping I shoot a trick shot and stop after the ball had left my hand only to see it go in. "Pucey, try and bloody block some shots or I'm going to have to replace you too." Marcus huffs. The next drill was to stop Marcus from getting the quaffle across the field. While he was flying I line myself up with him and flip my broom still going as fast as I possibly could and grabbing the quaffle right from a stunned Marcus's hands. Once I had flipped right side up I do a sharp turn and fly back towards Pucey when I hear a loud crack and spot a bludger coming at me. I barrel roll to the side before I shoot and score. We redid the two drills with bludgers raining down on us the whole time and the other sixth-year barely made it out without falling from his broom. Finally, after hours of flying, we're told that tryouts are over and that results will be posted tonight in the common room. Once I landed I immediately fall to the ground, my legs deciding to give up on me. I lie on the grass for a few minutes before standing up again with wobbly legs. I could hardly feel them at all. Draco walks over to me smiling widely. "I did quite well Graham said that I have a very high chance of making the team." I smile and pull him into a hug. "That's amazing Draco I'm so proud of you." "Thanks, Nyx." He replies as Maven walks over. Draco and maven do their 'bro hug' both discussing tryouts and complementing each other. I trailed behind as I drag myself back to the castle, wanting nothing more than to eat food and take a shower.

 Pulling my gear from my aching limbs proved to be harder than I thought as I could hardly move with how sore I was. I took a rather warm shower the hot water running down my body giving it a sense of relief as my shoulders slump and I relax. I change into a comfy white sweater and a skirt since I can't walk out of the common room in just a jumper. Once I arrived at the great hall I see all my friends sitting around Maven and Draco, both of which are scarfing down food. "Hello," I greet taking a seat beside Daphne as I fill up my own plate. "Nyssa, how were tryouts?" Blaise questions. "Exhausting," I reply taking another bite of my pasta. I didn't talk much for the rest of the meal as I was too tired to. It was 6 in the afternoon and I had already been awake for 12 hours 10 of which I spent on the pitch for tryouts. We all went back to the common room to see many people crowded around the common room. The sixth-year that went against me for tryouts was loudly telling his friends how he was able to easily keep up with Marcus and he was sure to get the spot over a girl. "There hasn't been a female Slytherin Quidditch player in over centuries it's not just magically going to start now." "Actually, it is," Marcus replies from behind him startling the boy causing him to look back. Marcus places a piece of paper on a table before loudly saying, "This is the list of everyone who made the team. I'll save you the trouble of reading it. Draco Malfoy, Maven Emrys, and Nisha Pendragon have all made the team. Congratulations." He then throws three dark green jerseys at us with our last names on the back. I smile giddily, looking up to see Marcus smirking at me. "You earned it. Now, practices will be Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday 5-8 pm. Don't be late."Marcus yells before walking off. My eyes were still lit up as I stare at my Jersey. "I made it!" I squeal before running off to owl my parents.