Flipped switch

This year's winter ball was hosted by aunt Narcissa. The party was nothing new as it was a night full of dancing with my family and friends as well as being forced to dance with Maven who again almost dropped me again only this time he waited longer to catch me. I had to bite my tongue to stop myself from screaming. other than that it was nice to say I got my revenge as a very pigmented purple punch was dumped on mavens white suit causing his mom to fuss and mine to give me a very discreet high five. Today was Yule and I was peacefully sleeping till my covers were ripped from my body. I groan loudly not even opening my eyes. "Go away." I curl up in my bed trying to find the smallest bit of warmth so I can fall asleep. That was until ice-cold water was poured all over me. I let out an ear-piercing scream as I sat up and see all my friends in my room as well as Maven holding a bucket. Without warning my eyes flash gold and he's suspended in the air while I stretch his limbs out from his body. The same feeling from weeks ago comes back as all the shadows in the room come alive seeming to fuel my anger even more. I mutter a curse and Maven's mouth is sewn closed. A whisper of a voice not belonging to any of my stunned friends says, "He deserves it, if he opens his mouth it will just be to hurt you." That's when Blaise snaps out of his trance and grabs ahold of me. "Nisha put him down." I absently look at Blaise. It was like I couldn't register anything that was going on. I was physically present but mentally it was like I was watching from behind a screen, that was until Maven begins to fight back-breaking from my spell that was suspending him in the air and stretching his body out. He countered the mouth one too and Glared at me more menacingly than any other time I've ever seen him. He shoots a spell at me that suspends me in the air as I did him only this one was squeezing my head making me very lightheaded hundreds of small cuts appear on my body as I let out a cry of pain. My head was too lightheaded for me to concentrate enough to use my magic and he knew that only when whoever Merlin knows convinced him to let me go did I fall to the ground very hard every cut aching with every movement I made. I was trying to blink black spots from my vision and make the pounding in my head ceased. It was like a storm of waves in my head just continuously raging making my headache get worse and worse. Once I was able to see and sit up I look around to see everyone looking weary. I just glare at Maven as he does the same. Blaise walks forwards helping me up as no one talks. no one really knew what to say, hell what could you say. I don't even know what happened to make me go to that extreme with Maven. I had never gone that far as to curse him that badly we both mainly stuck to public humiliation or indirectly caused stress in each other's lives. Sure, I mean, we did fight sometimes like that dueling match in the hallway but even then how much did we really try to hurt each other? That's when Blaise began to speak. "Should we open our gifts?" Everyone nods moving to their own pile. I got clothes from all the parents while my own just gave me more books. My friends gave me an assortment of sweats, makeup, and jewelry. Marcus and the team gave me quidditch gear as well as a signed poster from the Irish national team that I immediately hung up on my wall. After everyone exchanged thank-you's we were called down to breakfast since it was normal for all of them to show up on the morning of Yule. Everyone made their way out of my room and once all of them were out Maven shut the door. "You are a fucking monster." He sneers at me. "What the fuck were you thinking? It's normal for me to do shit to you like dumping water on you because I don't like you and as strong a word as hate might seem I do hate you. So why in Merlin's name did you bloody try and kill me, and why did it look like you were using shadow magic?" "I was using shadow magic?" "Shouldn't you know? Your fingertips turned pitch black and your hands had this purple glow to them it looked like you were a whole different person." I take in his words contemplating them. Did I really use shadow magic? If I did then why didn't I realize it? I must have given in to letting them use me since I was so pissed and caught off guard this early in the morning. "Just keep your shadow magic away from everyone wouldn't want you to kill one of my friends just because you were left unchecked." He doesn't let me respond as he walks past me roughly bumping into my shoulder in the process. Was he right? Could I kill someone? I push these thoughts aside as I walk down to breakfast and eat pancakes while listening to my friends talk staring at my fingertips that still were a bit black not all of it has faded. The feeling of it didn't fade yet either. It was like a switch had flipped inside me. The feeling was constant. I take small bites of my breakfast not feeling that hungry at all.