Chapter 18: A Shade Amongst Shadows

Hoseok?! What in the world is he doing here?

You were so confused. Why would Hoseok be at school, slinking around in the cafeteria, at this time of night?

You checked the time. 11:45pm.

It was nearly midnight.

Which, once again, begs the question.... WHAT THE HECK IS HE DOING HERE?!?!?

You weren't aware of the fact that you were staring at him, unmoving, until Rosie's voice brought you back to the present.

"Uh... Blackrose... are you alright?"

You shut your mouth, which was slightly agape beneath your mask. 

"Y-yeah... I'm... okay- Wait, Rosie, you know that's Hoseok over there, right?!"

She frowned, looking around confusedly. "Who's over- wait, where's Hoseok?" 

You groaned, gesturing to the man ransacking the school's kitchen. "Argh- he's Hoseok! The person currently snooping through the kitchen!" You whispered-yelled at her.

She looked towards the kitchen, squinting her eyes at Hoseok, who was hastily stuffing food items into his bag.

Her eyes widened when she recognised him. "My god, that's- it is Hoseok!"

You turned to Jennie, who had been standing behind you in silence.

She continued to stare at the wall in front of her, letting her thoughts wander.

Just as you were about to speak to her, she said, "What in the world is he doing here, though?"

You couldn't answer her, as you were all wondering the same thing.

Breaking the silence, you quietly sent instructions to Lisa through the earpiece. "Lisa, have you checked the cafeteria yet?"

A moment of silence, before you heard the familiar crackling in your ear, followed by Lisa's voice. "I was just about to head over. Is everything alright?"

You shook your head, even though she couldn't see. "We've caught someone in the kitchen. We're just watching him for now, and I think he's leaving. Come here quickly, to the left entrance to the cafeteria. I'll finish briefing you when you're here."

"Do you know who it is?"

"Yeah, I'll let you see for yourself."

"Alright. I'm just around the corner."

"Hey, and be quiet, will you?" You said, as you could faintly hear the echo of her boots on the cold concrete.

After you said those words, the footsteps stopped, and you guessed she'd taken your advice and been more cautious with her approach.

Sure enough, Lisa poked her head around the corner of the hallway, before stepping into full view. She crept silently towards you, nodding at the girls before looking at you.

"So, where is he?"

You placed you hand on her shoulder, guiding her carefully towards the window in the door. You didn't want Hoseok glancing over and seeing her; after all, Lisa wasn't wearing a mask, and he would easily be able to recognise her.

You watched as Lisa searched for him, her eyes carefully scanning the interior of the cafeteria and kitchen. Her eyes then focused on his figure, and then they slowly widened. She looked back at you, before saying, "Is that..."

"Hoseok? Yeah, it is," you cut in, finishing her sentence.

"What is he-"

"We don't know, we're just as confused as you are," you interrupted, answering the question you knew was playing on her tongue. "He looked like he was stealing food or something, he was going from the fridge to the pantry and back to his bag, which is quite full at the moment."