Stable Memories

"So you really don't remember much, huh?" I asked Link as we rode our newly gained horse companions to the nearest stable.

Link shook his head and smiled sadly.

"Don't worry about it. Memories or not, you're still you" I reassured him. The stable finally came into view.

A soothing tune of a nostalgic country side could be heard as we neared the stable, someone was playing a guitar out front. I smiled sadly, remembering the times my mom and I had traveled together delivering fruit.

"Afternoon ya two, how can I help ye?" The guy at the front desk asked as we approached.

"How much is it to register horses?" I asked, getting off my horse.

"20 rupees, including our own special gear."

"Great! We'll register our two horses then" I handed the guy 40 rupees from my bag and in return he gave us a paper with a signature on it.

"Give this to my daughter over by where the horses er kept and she'll help ye out with the gear... But before that, what are their names?"

"Epona" Link mumbled.

"Epona and Lilith" I said.

"No problem. Stay safe now you two. We live in dangerous times."

"Will do."

Link and I took our horses to who we assumed was the owner's daughter, and handed her the paper.

"Hi, we were told you could help us with the gear for the horses..?" I mumbled.

"Yup. You have lovely horses, so it should be easy, I can practically see the care in their eyes. Oh, my name's Cally by the way."

Link patted his horse before Cally pulled the gear onto Epona, being careful to not catch any straps in her mane.

"Would you like anything special done to her mane? I'll brush it either way, but I can add braids or clips if you'd like" Cally asked as she pet the horse in front of her. Link shook his head.

"Alright... and what about you?" Cally looked towards me as she grabbed the brush for the horses.

"I can grab a flower for her, that way it's easy to take off if it bothers her" I smiled before walking towards a nearby wooded area.

It was nice, the warm breeze blew softly through the grass, leaving a welcoming floral scent in the air from the pollinated flowers.

I took a deep breath in, absorbing my surroundings before a few flowers caught my eye. There were quite a few, silently moving in the wind, the delicate petals a vibrant blue against the dark green grass.

"Mother always told me you were endangered, how do you flourish in this chaos..?" I mumbled to the flower in front of me, caressing a leaf on it's stem with care.

Opting out of picking the light blue flowers, I instead went for a different approach. Although it costed more effort, I carefully picked a few dandelions and tied their stems together to form a flower crown. Once I was satisfied with my work, I turned around to head back to the stable...

Too bad a bokoblin had a different plan for me.

I sighed, annoyed at the interruption, it wasn't that I couldn't fight for myself, I was prepared for things to get a little messy, I was just not used to combat... doesn't help that I had left my weapon with Link.

The bokoblin lunged towards me, not quite fast enough to catch me off guard, but fast enough to graze my arm with it's bat. In that moment, however; I gripped onto the bad and swung my arms around to yank the enemy into the tall grass below. Ripping the weapon out of it's hands, I successfully had the upper hand. To my dismay, the bokoblin jumped up and swung it's arm at me, sliding right past the bat.

No pain came.

When it's clawed hand had made contact with my skin, it dissolved into a deep red mist of light, slowly blowing away.

"Aether!!" I heard a voice shout from behind me.

Link.

I couldn't comprehend what had just happened.

"Are you okay?" Link asked, holding his hand out to grasp mine, his warm touch sending a feeling of safety through my body.

"Mhm..."I mumbled quietly.

As we left later on, the flower crown still sat in the grass with the light blue flowers, petals blowing in the warm breeze.

It's strange how things work out.